Screen freeze following password in Windows XP SP2 start-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help?!?

Had a couple of laptop crashes and re-booted too quickly to log errors. Happened again today and since have been unable to get past entering my password in start-up. Enter my password and the screen freezes. Able to access my desk top via safe mode and the net via with networking where have added RegCure, but still the problems re-occurs. Also tried running virus scan in safe mode, again showing now threats, tried logging on as another user account with and without passwords and system restores to previous dates, all failing. Have checked the net for other possible solutions, but getting no where. Have no WP XP cd, so unable to perform recovery restore.

It's obviously something to do with the drivers or recently installed hardware, which I don't recall adding recently. These issues have occured whilst online and have the new NAV version.

Any ideas please?

Toshiba Satellite Pro user

Steve

when you say screen freezes it totally freezes or the mouse still moves but no icons come up and you cant access task manager?

The laptop just does not load up personal settings and proceed to the desktop. It just all freezes when I hit enter after entering my password. Tried it without a password and using another user to get around the password, but with no success. I can delete letters and stuff in my password, but does sometime not even let me enter a password, it just freezes when I touch a key and the arrow/hand dissapears. Can't even shut down the laptop via the turn off pc icon.

Did have a couple of episodes with the blue screen following system shut down to protect the laptop in the last week and predicted something might happen. But Norton showed nothing.

Have backed up all my files and would like to resolve this, other than use my recovery disk and reset the entire hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back