Screen offset after boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

Not exactly sure where this goes, but I'll stick it here and it can be moved if necessary.

I have been having problems with my screen when I am booting. It goes through the initial screen where it says how much RAM you have and that is fine. But when it goes to the next screen with the IRQ, etc. it gets offset quite a bit to the left. I can't see the beginning of the words. I just booted up with bootdisk and went to A: and I can't even see that letter. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this error and could shed some light on this problem.

Are you sure that's not just your monitor's settings need adjusting?? If your monitor is anywhere new, it will remember settings based on mode (resolution, number of colour and refresh rate) and have a vertical and horizon setting (amongst other settings) for each. You should hold your screen in this mode somehow (i.e. with the bootdisk) and then adjust accordingly.

Then I have another question: Where is this information stored?

If I'm not completley mistaken when you format your comp the monitor will still remember your custom settings, and so will it if you reset the CMOS...

So does the monitor have a CMOS and battery of it's own?

Reason I'm asking is because a monitor I use in school always revert to default when I turn it off...

...And then it would need a CMOS as well as a battery to hold the changes...

Ok, I'll take it apart tomorrow and have a look ;-)

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Are you sure that's not just your monitor's settings need adjusting?? If your monitor is anywhere new, it will remember settings based on mode (resolution, number of colour and refresh rate) and have a vertical and horizon setting (amongst other settings) for each. You should hold your screen in this mode somehow (i.e. with the bootdisk) and then adjust accordingly.

My monitor is adjusted fine in Windows......Just when I boot up. And even when I use a bootdisk it is offset I can't see the A:/> at the left of the screen. So I have no clue.
I remember it being ok for maybe a week or something, but that was a while ago and it has been messed up for a while.
I am not sure what you mean hold setting phantasm. If you could explain more I would appreciate it.

if you press the "pause" key during any period in the power on process before the OS is actually starting to boot, it will pause the screen. you can then make adjustments to your monitor's horizontal and vertical position, etc...

You also might try resetting windows to 640x480 60hz refresh rate (as it is when it boots) & using the monitor adjustments. It will then remember (hopefully) the 640x480 left/right/up/down settings upon reboot.

Once I've set my monitor for a res & rr it does remember it in DOS, games & windoze.

Don't you have a quick boot option where you don't see all that info every time?

HTH,

Originally posted by JAV
Don't you have a quick boot option where you don't see all that info every time?

I guess I don't, because I have no idea what you are talking about :D

As far as the monitor goes I just formatted and reinstalled today and it seems to be going okay so far. I'll let you all know if it happens again and I'll see what I can do to fix it. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back