Seagate has built an incredible 60TB SSD that it plans to release next year

midian182

Staff member

Solid state drive capacities no longer lag behind their hard drive counterparts. Samsung revealed it was shipping its enormous 15TB SSD back in March, but Seagate is going one better. The data storage firm has built an incredible 60TB SSD that it aims to ship next year.

Seagate didn’t provide technical specifications for the Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) drive, but the company did say it has twice the density and four times the capacity of Samsung’s PM1633a.

Those 60TB obviously mean it’s aimed at the enterprise market, such as data centers. Seagate said it has the space needed to “accommodate 400 million photos on a typical social media platform, or 12,000 DVD movies.”

The drive uses the standard enterprise 3.5-inch storage form factor. It will allow businesses to access vast troves of data quickly and easily, and should help meet the ever increasing demand for more storage space.

Should 60TB not be large enough, Seagate says the flexible architecture the drive is based on could eventually allow it to grow to 100TB or more in the same form factor.

"We are constantly seeking new ways to provide the highest density possible in our all-flash data center configurations,” said Mike Vildibill, vice president, Advanced Technologies and Big Data, Hewlett-Packard Enterprise. “Seagate’s new 60TB SAS SSD offers an exciting possibility for customers to achieve higher server storage performance and capacity configurations never seen before.”

Seagate didn’t say how much its product will cost, but with Samsung’s 15TB SSD coming in at around $10,000, the 60TB drive isn't going to be cheap. Consumers looking for a high-capacity solid state drive have the option of buying Samsung's 4TB 850 Evo SSD, providing they’ve got a spare $1500.

Permalink to story.

We'll set aside the fact that Seagate stated that SSDs are basically a fad; and just say that this seem awesome because now it will push others to compete. I'm thinking of Samsung here since they've been in the lead up till now.
I wonder what's next? :)

Is it me or without equivalent rise in interface speed, it's better and cheaper to separately connect 60 or 30 SSD drives? Seems like the only downsides would be managing it yourself + taking extra space.

Last edited:
I am definitely on the fence on this one ..... and maybe on the way to the outhouse too ....

I thought it was discussed here (https://www.techspot.com/news/65637-seagate-unveils-10tb-hard-drive-designed-consumers.html) but I couldn't find it in the comments, but I distinctly remember having/reading a conversation with someone on either a forum or comment thread regarding stuffing more and more into a 3.5" drive form factor, and the kinds of crazy densities you could get stacking that many memory chips into the space (and equally crazy prices)...

And here we are. Though honest question: clearly this drive is aimed at data centers, but does the space savings (sure, four Samsung PM1633a drives vs one Seagate 60TB), and lower power usage (the PM1633a mentioned uses 4.5w/11w idle/active, surely this 60TB drive will use less than four PM1633a's) justify purchasing this monster at a nigh ludicrous price that is likely well north of $30,000?

This would be also good for photographers who owns high MP cameras and does a lot of post processing. For the ordinary Joe like me it's overkill. Nice to know that SSD's are getting more affordable with larger capacities. I have a Samsung and Corsair SSD's and neither have failed me yet.

Some time ago, at this site I believe, this ssd storage topic came up. I contended that traditional spinners would be able to stick with ssd drives on storage capacities, given the r&d funding. I was wrong, and frankly that opinion didn't stand a chance.

So I'm waiting for a Seagate ssd super give away competition so I can win one of these bad boys, cause fudge will I ever be able to afford one.

Sure I'll see one on the tv show, richtits of Instagram, eventually.

I got a 2 TB thumb drive for less than $20 and I have already backed up my primary and secondary drives. I have ordered 5 more 2 TB drives for the USB 3.0 configuration. They even can be formatted for the NTFS over the FAT32 that comes with it.

Meh, I expected this a lot sooner. What took them so long? If they announce a 60TB micro SD card next week then I'll be suitably impressed.

I really don't need/can't afford one of these...but....HOLY SH*&T and to think our first computer a (radioshack TRS-80 color computer) had just a whooping 4K and It only took 36 yrs to get this.
I don't mean to be a whiner but, can we pick up the pace a little.
P.S....
I'm still waiting for my jetpack, c'mon I'm not going to live for ever ya know.
Seriously, just be patient 3-4 years you' ll be able to get the 60TB for about a grand because the 100TB model will be out.

Well good to see Seagate finally getting on board SSDs. Just hoping Samsung and other more reputable SSD suppliers get on board with that storage size asap.

10tb-har-drive

...since that's show it's pronounced, might as well change to spelling to match.

I got a 2 TB thumb drive for less than $20 and I have already backed up my primary and secondary drives. I have ordered 5 more 2 TB drives for the USB 3.0 configuration. They even can be formatted for the NTFS over the FAT32 that comes with it.
Oh I feel sorry for you, that drive is 99.9999999999% likely to not be legit and you most likely just lost a lot of data. Last I checked you are not getting a 2TB drive of any kind for $20 let alone a USB drive unless it is one of those China scams, which you most likely have.

A 60 TB SSD plugged into my desktop....Ummm, OK. A 60 TB SSD plugged into my PCIE slot, bypassing the SATA bottleneck wold be AWESOME!

Oh I feel sorry for you, that drive is 99.9999999999% likely to not be legit and you most likely just lost a lot of data. Last I checked you are not getting a 2TB drive of any kind for $20 let alone a USB drive unless it is one of those China scams, which you most likely have.

Probably meant 2 GB drives.

BTW: In reference to this article, very cool, but I'm holding out to see what 3D Xpoint by Intel and Micron is. I have a feeling its going to but everything out now to shame.

BTW: In reference to this article, very cool, but I'm holding out to see what 3D Xpoint by Intel and Micron is. I have a feeling its going to but everything out now to shame.
In that case he HUGELY overpaid and got ripped off in another way.

Sure would like to know your source. The cheapest 1 Tb usb flash drive I found was almost $900.00. Your drive came formatted FAT 32? FAT 32 only supports 4 Gb partitions. That means your drive had 500 partitions!

FAT 32 only supports 4 Gb partitions. That means your drive had 500 partitions!
That's not true. Windows will format a 32GB FAT32 partition. DOS (pre-NTFS - Windows based on FAT32) and third party partitioning software will format FAT32 upto 2TB. You're confusing FAT32 with FAT (aka: FAT16). Either that or you're confusing the max file size with the max volume size. FAT32 does have a max file size of 4GB.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

I really don't need/can't afford one of these...but....HOLY SH*&T and to think our first computer a (radioshack TRS-80 color computer) had just a whooping 4K and It only took 36 yrs to get this.
I don't mean to be a whiner but, can we pick up the pace a little.
P.S....
I'm still waiting for my jetpack, c'mon I'm not going to live for ever ya know.
Seriously, just be patient 3-4 years you' ll be able to get the 60TB for about a grand because the 100TB model will be out.
The TRS-80 from Radio Shack only had a black and white screen, the Radio Shack Color Computer

https://geek.wish.com/?category=tag_54079da80b64250a842705a9

Sure would like to know your source. The cheapest 1 Tb usb flash drive I found was almost $900.00. Your drive came formatted FAT 32? FAT 32 only supports 4 Gb partitions. That means your drive had 500 partitions!
It is a Japanese company, the drives come in FAT32 as the default but they can be reformatted to NTFS and even a compressed configuration. In spite of what that one guy said these are not sending data to or deleting data by, China.

Last edited:
It is a Japanese company, the drives come in FAT32 as the default but they can be reformatted to NTFS and even a compressed configuration. In spite of what that one guy said these are not sending data to or deleting data by, China.
I have yet to find anything on Geek or Wish that comes from Japan, it is all from China and those 1TB flash drives are not real, they do not exist for $10. Don't get me wrong, some things on Wish are actually pretty good if you find the right seller but you are not getting a legit 1TB flash drive for $10 from China or anywhere right now. You data is at risk with that drive and you think you got a super deal.

Back