Security with speed on old laptop

fish4specs

I've had to do a restore on my Compaq 705us. 352 Meg Ram, 1 GHz Athlon4. While doing Windows updates before any virus or firewall software, the computer is much faster than it had been. I was running AVG free and Zone alarm free, one or both may have been significantly slowing down this limited computer. I've stopped updates at SP2 with all security updates. Which Virus and Firewall programs would have the smallest foot print (use least resources). All email is online, not download to comp. Computer is used mostly for web surfing but with 352 meg of ram it is very challenging. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.

I would use AVG free edition, and just use the Windows built in firewall, as that will give you the smallest resource footprint.

P.S. I don't know for certain if AVG is the least resource hungry AV, but its a good choice none the less.

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials on all my Windows computers, seems very light on resources and at least appears to be working well.

I haven't used MS's firewall but might look at that. I did wonder about MS Essentials, seems if anyone should be able make firewall/virus with low resources, it should be the OS creator. Think i'll start with that and if it's too slow I'll try Avast.

What about browsers? Opera seems pretty fast but I've had issues with it not completely shutting down and if Opera is open when comp goes to standby or hibernate it completely freezes when i try to wake up computer.

Low spec laptop and Anti-virus

Firstly, your 300MB Ram is slowing you down so much, if you can buy even another 512MB, you will find everything is better, booting, shutting down, in fact everything you do.
Secondly, best advice is to only have one anti-virus program installed at any time. I have put 'Microsoft Security Essentials' on three PCs, and it does seem to be light on resources.
AVG is very good, and effective, but I think it may be too much for your spec PC as it stands now. 'Avira' free edition is also suitable. When you try to uninstall any of the Anti-virus programs, you may find they don't have an uninstall option. Each maker does have a special program on their site designed for that job, although not easy to find sometimes.(strange that) Just 'Google' (for instance) 'McAfee uninstall tool', and you will get the link to go to. Also use the Windows firewall together with your anti virus program. Whichever web browser you use, try to use it without many add-ons, (none is best), it can make it very much slower.

Chrome is probably the lightest browser you can use that is still good. Maybe check out Chromium if you don't want google spying on you as much.

Thanks for all the replies. I did a complete restore then updates to SP2, uninstalled all superfluous programs. Installed MS Security Essentials, doesn't seem too bad but slow on clicking links. For ram pc133 140pin, according to HP (Compaq) I have max installed. I have thought about getting a 512 just to see. I'll test this setup a few days and if too slow i'll try Avira and Chromium. Opera definitely faster on system than firefox.

Back