Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

Hey,
I wasn't sure where to post this...I am thinking of buying a server because I already pay for server hosting for www.rugbyweb.org (business) and www.landofknights.com (game) and I am more than likely going to start another business website and another gaming website. So I was jsut wondering how much would a server cost to run at lease the first to sites?, the price excludes internet connection.
cheers
hynesy

Well im not a expert here, but I think if you have realativly low traffic sites you could pretty much install Linux and Apache 2 on a $1000 (or much lower, depending on the workload) computer and use it as a server. Its what I do with a old dell I got for free.

As Boogity said.. You can host a website on a 100MHz Pentium. It all depends on what content you are serving to how many people and what kind of reliability you need.

Most likely any new machine will do just fine for you. I do recommend you get something with SCSI RAID.

yeah true, but there is already a game on there which is becomeing quite popular and i am also considering putting another game on there
cheers
hynesy

low end supermicro 1u server bout 1200.00usd
high end with xeon cpu's start with 2gb of ddr400
2 nice satas 200gb each hotswap
4,000 usd
supermicro man haha most newer boards come with dual 1gb nic
as Nodsu stated the term servers incompass biggg area
the real most important thing bout server is memory drives and the software to run it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back