Setting up 2 hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here we go....

I'm setting up 2 hard drives (obviously).
I would like to tie them together, with the first drive being my primary for all my computing needs
...and, with the second drive dedicated to data and data storage and recovery points (if needed)

Each one is 80 gigs

I don't see that you have a problem. Can you not just load them both into a single case?

What IS the problem? If it's data, you'll have to remember to save to the second drive. Set each app's save location or physically move the data (by dragging the icons).

Recovery would be harder. After setting recovery dates you would have to copy the user and registry files to the second disk.

Or if you have XP, right click My Computer, select Properties. Select the Tools tab and the backup button. A wizard will start and walk you thru the process.

hi ninjaibassist

If you need help with something, you actually have to ask for it. Telling us what you'd like to do is great .... but what would you like US to do for you?

Spyder_1386 :)

If you have already figured out the hardware configuration part and is asking how to set your default My Document folders to save stuff to the second drive, then you can change your windows settings. Click on Start, Right click on My Documents, then left click on Properties. Click on Move, and then browse and select your new drive and folder.

Just so you understand, having 2 drives does not make your data any safer, as your second drive is just as likely to fail and crash as your first drive. You will STILL need a 3rd drive to backup any data that is important to you from the first 2 drives.

Well, one of your hard drives would have XP installed.

Let's start from assuming that you already have one hard drive with XP on it.

All you would do is plug in the second hard drive (if it's IDE then you have to use the jumpers to set slave/master; if it's sata then just plug it in), right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk management and format your NEW disk to be NTFS. You're all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back