Shared Printer over Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

saspinall

Hi
I have my main pc in one room which I use on the internet with a Buffalo Wireless Modem/Router, connected to the PC using an Ethernet cable. I have an Epson D88 connected to the PC via USB. I also have a laptop which connected via the wireless network I have setup. I now want to be able to print from the laptop to the Epson via the network, when the pc is switched on. I have gone into Printers and accessed the printer and said to let it be shared and called it EPSON. When I go on the laptop I cannot see it. What do I have to do to see printer

Thanks

Stu

The firewall on the laptop may be blocking the communication to the printer. You must enable Printer and File sharing on both computers by running the "network setup wizard"

you also need to make sure the two PCs belong to the same workgroup - change the name to one of your own choosing in control panel > system > computer name > change. They must be exactly the same!

Thanks guys,

tried all the suggestions, thought I had it when on the laptop I said add printer, it searched, never found any through the network, however when I typed the actual name of \\Network PC\PRINTER it took a while to answer and then said that the printer spooler wasnt running on the main pc ?

Any ideas, goodness, when you search on how to do this on the internet, the guides come back and its almost as easy as plug and play, but obviously not.

Thanks for help

Stu

You shouldn't have to type any printer name. You search automatically, clicking on MSHOME, cascading down to the printer's name. Select it and I'm not sure if you need to install the printers drivers. My wife's system is in the room next to me. She is wireless and the printer is physically attached (USB) to my system. We are networked with File and Print Sharing active. If you can share (see) files between systems, you should be able to access the printer too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back