Sharp shows 3D screen likely used in DS successor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Like it or not, 3D technology is being rolled out this year, and it's not just destined for big screen TVs. Nintendo last month revealed plans to incorporate the technology in a new handset, the 3DS. Today, Sharp unveiled what could possibly be the display Nintendo is using in its DS successor.

Aimed at small devices, the display measures 3.4 inches (480x854), is touch-sensitive, and doesn't require special glasses to view 3D imagery. Looking past its 3D capabilities, the screen can be toggled to 2D, which has better-than-average specs, such as a 500cd/m2 brightness and a 1000:1 contrast.

Having a 3D-ready, glasses-free device in your pocket sounds fantastic, but the technology isn't perfect. Some folks point out that the screen must be viewed head-on and held around 30cm away for optimal 3D effects -- and images are a bit blurry regardless.

Naturally, people don't use handhelds at fixed distances or viewing angles, so using the display could become frustrating.

Permalink to story.

"Some folks point out that the screen must be viewed head-on and held around 30cm away for optimal 3D effects -- and images are a bit blurry regardless."

Hoo boy...PLEASE let me jump in on this bandwagon. :p

TomSEA said:
"Some folks point out that the screen must be viewed head-on and held around 30cm away for optimal 3D effects -- and images are a bit blurry regardless."

Me too! Me too! (yeah...maybe in five years or so when we see either a more mature tech or the end of a hype)

Consumer voice and choice is gone, they want us to buy their technologies as soon as they come out.

Digital TV laws will be replaced with 3DTV laws in a few years, just watch the FCC and congress get lobbied to do it once again.

I love the propaganda generated by the coorporate giants, telling you must buy in to their latest 3D farce.

Their brainwashing tactics put the Chinese to shame.

Doesn't work on me anymore, not since I spent a bundle on Betamax.

Yeh, because I often play my DS at crazy angles...

the system will use what is known as lenticular technology. All I can imagine is that after 30 minutes of playing you'll need 4 hours of rest to let the headache pass.

hello ...

that's why 3D is still best with glasses ;) ...

it will happen & from the little that's been shown, it's quite impressive, as long as you are not 10 to watch the movies or play the games & you accept the glasses.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back