Sims 2 Directx 9.0 error message

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get an error saying that Sims 2 has failed to find any compatible Directx 9.0 graphic adapters in my system when trying to run the game.

I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
4096MB RAM
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 925 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4200 is my integrated graphics
DirectX 11

What's the issue here? I actually played sims 2 earlier today just fine.. So I don't know why it suddenly decides to ignore my DirectX ...

You can try to do two things:

1. Try playing it in compatibility mode; by right clicking on Sim 2 Icon, then going to compatibility mode and selecting some previous OS compatibility.
2. Update your DirectX, as MS recently released update for DirectX 9, 10 & 11.

How do I update Directx 11? I downloaded this SDK thing but I don't think that was the right thing. Sims still doesn't work, and googling it either comes up with loads of things I don't understand or reviews of the Win7 DirectX11 bundle.

Apparantly Directx updates come through by Windows update which I always have running? So that might not be the issue?

Here is a link to download latest revision of DirectX.

However, before installing directx revision, I would advise you to restore your windows 7 to some previous restore point (of atleast two days ago) ..... as your issue might have been due to recent windows updates. It may help resolve your problem.

I can't do a system restore to two days ago because I've done some Windows Updates this morning.. I will download that file and edit this post with the outcome.

I still get the error when I run the game after installing that download... what can I try now? :(

EDIT:
Apparantly, according to some technicians on the thesimsresource.com it's a custom content problem. How do I find out which custom content is causing the problem?

You could try removing them one at a time until it starts working again.

I never have looked at Sims or any of its variants let alone play it. But I am guessing custom content probably what you have added to the original installation of your Sims.

Help Im getting a simular problem... Whenever I press sims 2... it comes up saying I need a Directx 9.0c etc... and I have downloaded soo many but nothing is happening. Whenever I try to download a driver it is stupid because it asks you to pay for it. I dont know what to do. I have gone into 'Run' and typed in Dxdiag.. but Im on a Windows 7 computer and you cant edit which Directx your using. You cant edit anything. Please, someone help me. I want to go back on my sims 2 game. last year I had a windows xp and I had the same problem but I typed in dxdaig and I could edit the Directx Im using. Now I cant cas im on a windows 7. Any ideasssss??? xx

Download the latest drivers for your graphic card from its manufacturer's site and install them.

Secondly, have you tried it to run in compatibility mode, by right click on its icon, then going to properties, and to compatibility tab. Try selecting various xp related option to see if any works.

Sims 2 has failed to find any compatible Directx 9.0 graphic adapters in my system when trying to run the game.
If this is the message you are getting, just make sure you are not misreading it. It isn't saying you need Directx but, rather, it is saying you need a graphics adapter that is Directx 9.0 compatible. In other words it normally means you need a better graphics card.

What graphics card do you have now?

I'm having the exact same problem.
I reinstalled the Sims 2 and all of the expansions I own, and it won't let me play.
I feel like I've tried everything and nothing seems to work.

Since you have the same problem and didn't list any system specs, I suppose you have the same as the OP. When you changed the compatibility mode did anything change? What did you change it to?

I'm sorry, I'm not that great with computers.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
Triple-Core Processor 2.10 GHz
DirectX version 11.0
My graphics card is a GeForce 8800 GTS

I tried changing it to run it under Windows XP (Service Pack 3) (and it still came up with the same error message)

"Failed to find DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate"

That message doesn't seem right with your graphics card. How about the graphics driver? Latest installed? Also, when you install a new driver do you uninstall the old one through Add and Remover Programs? If not, try it.

It should be the latest, I'm checking right now.
There is a chance it didn't get uninstalled, but I'm not sure how I'd know which program is the one I need to remove

I think you'll be able to figure it out when you look but if you have trouble, note the names of the choices and post them. Then we can figure it out.

I'm having the same problem, it's only since windows 7 was put on my computer, I went a put sims 2 on and I get the directx 9 message, I've updated my graphics card drivers and sound drivers, I have a Nvidia GeForce 9600GT card, duo core processor, 4gig ram, Never had a problem with any of my games while using windows XP. I've even tried the compatiblity mode to windows XP service pack 2 didn't make any difference still get the same message.

I'm just about ready to give up and go back to XP at least I know everything worked on XP.

@rikki

Have you tried the suggestions above? If not please give it a try, you need first to uninstall your current set of drivers. Then reboot and run driver cleaner or driver sweeper to remove any/every trace of all the previously installed drivers. Reboot again, and then reinstall the latest drivers. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back