Site down around 1:30 CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

Just as the subject says the site was down around 1:30 CST (actually just before). Just wanted to make sure you knew this Julio.

GMT -6
At least thats what it says at the bottom of the forum, and its reading the time correctly according to my clocks.

And right now its Central Daylight Time, not Central Standard Time ;)

With all due respect to you JAV, one things for sure, TechSpot is here to cater to any one from ALL walks of life maybe it be children, adults or senior citizens. Techspot is a place to SHARE (the reason you are here), LEARN and at the same time having some fun within certain boundaries.

You talk about, ever since Uncleel left , this place has gone to the kiddiesand that others feel the same & have decided to frequent other boards for their tech. Well from what i see these people lack the commitment to stay at the forum permanently.

Are you here to outline that Poertner is incompetent and not doing his job the right way? Are you after a post in TS Special Force?

What exactly do you mean by being mature? Do you have a mentality that that if TechSpot caters to children, these children are ALL immature? It hurts and makes me feel bad alot, as i m just 16 yrs old. when. Personally, TechSpot is my second home after my real one. I wouldn't believe that every adult are mature, i have seen young people with more mature toughts and also more knowlegdeable than their adult counterparts.

As a mature person you should be able to tolerate and compromise such small matters. If you are not satisfied with the way Techspot is administered or Techspot is not meeting your expectations anymore, you are always welcome to leave Techspot indefinitely to share your knowledge somewhere else.

I'm not trying to provoke any arguement or a fight. Forgive if i have said something wrong. Just don't want all of us to become foes over small issues.

Too much friction between members in the last month or so; just wanted to comment on this a little... it's for sure we are all very different individuals coming from different cultures, and that's what makes this beautiful.

Joining and being part of a serious community where we can discuss a common topic (in this case, computers, that we love so much), sooner or later get to know each other when discussing more personal stuff... take things more lightly, do not question whether simple things are right or wrong and try to respect opinions, just my 2 cents.

And BACK TO THE THREAD TOPIC ! :confused:
According to the site stats there was noticeable downtime in the morning, perhaps a server restart or short downtime, who knows, but thanks for letting me know.

Just found this on Yahoo News, maybe this has something to do with it ???

Nine of the 13 "root" internet servers that direct all web traffic around the globe were subjected to a serious attack early on Tuesday. Attacks on these servers have the potential to bring the net to a halt.

The FBI and the Whitehouse are now investigating the incident. A spokesman for the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Centre said officials were "aware of the denial of service attack and addressing this matter".

Another official described it as the most sophisticated attack ever mounted against critical internet infrastructure.

It is not clear who launched the attack or why. The servers were bombarded with fake traffic from a host of "zombie" machines that had been hijacked by hackers. The technique is known as a distributed denial of service attack.

Ten of the root DNS servers are located in the US and the other three are kept at secret locations outside the US. Richard Clarke, cyber-security advisor to President Bush recently warned that DNS servers could be a potential target for terrorists.

Rapid response

The incident is not believed to have had a serious impact on internet traffic because it lasted for only an hour. The companies that operate the root DNS servers rapidly contacted the companies hosting the zombie computers, which were then taken offline.

"Yesterday for about an hour, there was an electronic attack on many of the root servers," said Louis Touton, vice president the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the internet's governing body. "It didn't have any effect on any internet users that we're aware of," he told AP.

The 13 root domain names system (DNS) servers store master copies of files that match all domain names to the numerical addresses used to route internet traffic. For example, the system maps www.newscientist.com to its internet protocol (IP) address 194.201.29.81.

Without this system most internet traffic would never reach its desired location. But the DNS system should in principle work if just one server remained functional.

I am sorry if I created a little bad taste in people's mouth with this thread. I thought this is where Julio wanted to know what problems are occuring with the site.

I figured if others had this problem instead of PM'ing Julio 10 differnt times, he just had to read 1 thread.

As far as JAV is concerned I wish I was able to read your posts to see how you feel exactly, but all I can go off of is what Young&Wild said.

I don't understand what the big deal is about me starting this thread. If you feel that it wastes your time, then don't read it. You know what it is about from the subject, if you don't feel like wasting your time reading it, then don't.

As far as maturity goes on this board and since Uncleel left, this board has gone to kiddies, I don't know where you are getting this information form. I feel that TechSpot members for the most part conduct themselves very well, and have a decent deal of maturity.

I am going to stop here before I start more trouble, but I wanted to share my feelings about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back