SK Hynix unveils 128 GB DDR4 module

Scorpus

Staff member

It may still be a few years before we see proper DDR4 adoption in the consumer space, but some memory manufacturers are certainly gearing up for the onslaught of motherboards supporting the improved memory spec. SK Hynix is one such company, today unveiling a DDR4 module with a massive capacity of 128 GB.

Based on Through Silicon Via (TSV) technology, the memory module uses SK Hynix's 20nm 8Gb chips, densely packed onto the standard-sized RAM unit. The module packs speeds of 2133 Mbps, and through a 64-bit wide bus can support transfers at 17 GB per second. It's also expected to be power efficient, operating at just 1.2V compared to the 1.5V required for DDR3.

It's no surprise that the 128 GB DDR4 module is destined for server applications, as its huge capacity will likely go unused in consumer systems for the time being. SK Hynix has mentioned that mass production of the modules will begin in 2015, coinciding with availability of DDR4-capable hardware.

DDR4 isn't just destined for traditional computers and servers though. Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 SoC announced yesterday will support DDR4's low power brother, LPDDR4, when it launches at the start of 2015. Expect other mobile hardware manufacturers to jump aboard the DDR4 train from next year.

Permalink to story.

So what we are doing is eliminating the need for paging/caching. All work will be done from memory and then stored to SSD.

Ladies..Gents!! You are all thinking in terms of a single stick. I'd like to talk about Duel Channel and how about Quad!!?? Now we're cooking with gas..err..jet fuel?? LOL

Think of all the VM's I could be hosting from that baby! And to fill up banks of server dimms with these? /drool

I don't even need 16GBs of RAM. I could afford it without messing up my finances, and so I bought it so I could brag about it. If 128GBs is reasonably priced, I'll be buying it.
So did you impress anybody barring yourself with it yet? And if you think 128GB of DDR4 is gonna be 'reasonably priced' you could be in for a rude awakening.

So did you impress anybody barring yourself with it yet? And if you think 128GB of DDR4 is gonna be 'reasonably priced' you could be in for a rude awakening.
With RAM prices these days, people look a little wistful when I say I have 16GBs of pretty high-end RAM (Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz). And I know it will cost a ton now, but what about three years from now? I'm pretty sure it'll be affordable for the average consumer by then.

Do you really need 128GB of RAM or just like to brag about having it? :)

I have 32GB of ram currently and I am using around 8GB with just chrome open, I would mainly use it for server stuff like VM's and plus the more ram I have the more crap I can have open.

Plus the PC I am getting ready to build will be insane.... plus I hate a slow PC I love performance at maximum and with this new build I wont need to upgrade in roughly 10years or more specially with the 60TB 3.5" HDD coming in 2016!

I have 32GB of ram currently and I am using around 8GB with just chrome open, I would mainly use it for server stuff like VM's and plus the more ram I have the more crap I can have open.

Plus the PC I am getting ready to build will be insane.... plus I hate a slow PC I love performance at maximum and with this new build I wont need to upgrade in roughly 10years or more specially with the 60TB 3.5" HDD coming in 2016!
The main point of this RAM would be for things like VMs and intense simulations.

With memory amounts like this, I'm thinking a RAMDisk that is capable of holding the entire OS. Not sure how that would work though, because the AMD RAMDisk app requires a running OS, then you can install items to it. Anyone know?

It may not be needed for most users right now but I have heard the same argument many times over the years... I recall a friend saying "Why would you ever need more than 20MB of hard drive space?"

Eventually it will be utilized. It would be nice to see SSD's make an improvement in price/size ratios as well.

You gotta learn to be flexible, a lot of things can happen between now and 2016 and I don't only mean techwise.

Does anyone remember the days when 128MB RAM was an overkill? My guess is that in a few years time 128GB will be gobbled up by memory hungry apps and other in-memory processing software. Don't fret...developers will make use of it. Yes paging may go out the window too ( pun intended).

Is there any reason this couldnt be used for harder storage? I mean its meant to survive more reads/writes and be faster right? im sure it has something to do with controllers or what not but im just curious.

I'm pretty sure you'll be upgrading it in about 5 years. ^_^

By the time when there will start to appear new motherboards customer systems will need a couple of these modules. For example, just think about 4K or 8K video.

Would love to have 1.

Would use as a RAM sick as well. Would load entire VMs into RAM.

You could also play an entire game from RAM. Why install at all if you can just run from RAM.

Same with loading 4K video right into RAM.

TimeScapes is 160GB which is very much compressed 4K video. So I need 2 128GB sticks just to load it.

An uncompressed 4k Movie @ 24fps, 2 hours in length, requires 3.44 TB of disk space. That is 1.72 TB an hour. Source: http://web.forret.com/tools/video_f...interlace=on&depth=12&title=Digital+Cinema+4K

Just a few ideas as to why I need 128GB sticks of RAM.

Even 128GB is too small though for my blood. I need PB sicks. ;)

Why, see: http://nofilmschool.com/2012/04/nab-2012-day-3-recap-4k-raw-data-rates/

So yea. Now imagine 8k. :D

Wow! That's incredible! It encourages me to build my own PC more and more lol. I love my laptop, but I would like to build my own computer. I especially would like something between 12 and 16 GB of ram so I can fit all my games and VMs on there. I like dabbling with Linux and servers. I'm a gamer at heart...but I think 128 GB of RAM is ttoo much. What on Earth would you use it for???? To use that much RAM you'd have to buy every game known to man and then build like 20 VMs lol. I dunno...I'd be happy with 12 or 16 so I know my system isn't being slowed by my games. (I currently run an ASUS laptop with 4 GB of RAM and I have 8 games on my Steam account and Diable 3 on my Battle.net account...it's not very sluggish, but it's on it's way!!)

4K Video? Many won't even load in 1080p yet!

I have a 4K "capable" GPU, what good is it when Web content that many of us watches, such as YouTube videos, news clips are 720p & even the 2014 Super Bowl was streamed in 1080p?

Back