Sloooooow System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again everybody -

I have been having a time of it lately trying to figure out just what exactly has gone wrong with my system. Firstly the specs:

Mobo - Asus A7V8X-X
CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2000+
RAM - Kingston DDR400 1024Mb
Vid - Gigabyte Radeon 9200
HD - 1 x WD 200Gb, 1 x Maxtor 80Gb (mp3 only)
Sony DVD-Writer

After a spate of crashes, initially during a screensaver then becoming more regular 'freezes' during anything from wordprocessing, idle downloading overnight, using itunes, playing videos etc. my system has become remarkably slow. I fear that having to power down without shutting down windows properly may have caused some kind of damage to the OS.

After a defrag of all drives, chkdsk, virus / trojan scans, registry cleanup, my startup time either cold or hot has climbed into the 3 minute mark and once the system is up and running everything seems to be on a bit of a lag, kasperky antivirus seems to be a culprit in slowing things down (as per usual), but has become much more pronounced after the 'freezes', a virus-scan taking 3-4 times longer than usual. When I click on 'My Computer' now the little flashlight comes up for a few seconds.

I have cleaned all internal fans, reseated RAM and replaced cables, all to no avail.

I presumed this was a video card problem but can run relatively GPU intense apps (Unreal Tournament 2003 for eg) with no real lag once started.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

MUZ said:
I fear that having to power down without shutting down windows properly may have caused some kind of damage to the OS.

1.It`s unlikely to have caused permanent damage to the OS,
because XP is meant to be "self repairing".You could run
the system file checker I suppose - Start/Run/sfc /scannow.
I don`t think a damaged HD is too likely either.

2.Go into msconfig startup tab and uncheck everything.
If things run better after that,then you`ll know
that one of those caused the slowdown.

3.Try detaching pieces of hardware one by one.

4.The only time I ever had a serious slowdown
like that,it turned out to be loose cable on
a CD drive,which somehow brought everything else
down

5.Say you`ve tried all that,and the problem still persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back