Snapchat accused of racism again, this time over its 'Yellowface' filter

midian182

Staff member

Snapchat has a wide range of filters that can improve the look of a photo and add graphics overlays. They’re a popular element of the app, but the company has been heavily criticized for a new face filter that turns a person into a caricature of Asians.

Twitter users dubbed the filter "Yellowface” and called it racist on account of the slanted eyes, buck teeth, and rounded rosy cheeks it superimposes over people’s faces. The term refers to when white actors portray stereotypes of East Asian people, such as Mickey Rooney’s Mr. I.Y. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. One person called it “the most overly racist filter ever.”

Grace Sparapani, an incoming graduate student at the University of Texas at Austin, told Motherboard’s Sarah Emerson: ““It makes me angry and very uncomfortable. If you Google ‘caricature of an Asian person,’ you’ll get squinty eyes, and buckteeth. It’s meant to be derogatory.”

Snapchat defended the filter yesterday, saying in a statement that it was an “anime-inspired lens.” The company added that its lenses were “meant to be playful and never offend.”

This isn’t the first time that Snapchat has faced controversy over its filters. The company released a Bob Marley lens on April 20 this year in honor of marijuana holiday 4/20. It combined users’ faces with that of the late singer, leading to accusations of “digital blackface” and being offensive to Marley’s legacy.

Not surprisingly, the filter was quickly removed and won’t be put back into circulation.

Permalink to story.

Seriously? Everyone wants their individual identity being Japanese-American, African-American, Irish-American, etc, etc ..... then they get PO'd when others try to accommodate them. Perhaps the Mfg. needs to go back to the old Smiley Face for everyone (sans color because that yellow .... well, you know!) and not allow any form of individuality. Or maybe the user could actually exercise some small form of judgement and simply steer away from those mod's that offend them! WOW .... what a concept, individual choice!

All this talk of people being racist. Everything is racist. I don't even think the majority of people even know the definition. The English dictionary defines racist as:

racist-
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

The question is, Is the yellow face filter showing discrimination or prejudice? Is it causing a superiority complex?

I find people crying racist often are in the pure definition of the word, racist.

No excuse for a multi-billion dollar(valued) company can't pay a small group of people to at this shiat before it goes public.
/Quality control if you will

All this talk of people being racist. Everything is racist. I don't even think the majority of people even know the definition. The English dictionary defines racist as:

racist-
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

The question is, Is the yellow face filter showing discrimination or prejudice? Is it causing a superiority complex?

I find people crying racist often are in the pure definition of the word, racist.

This is why everything is racist. The definition allows racism to be applied universally. Check it out:

1. The Snapchat filter exaggerated Asian features.

2. The definition of racism includes prejudice against other races.

3. The definition of prejudice includes "a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience."

4. The snap filter explicitly communicates that Asian features are inherently humorous.

5. (4) is an irrational opinion.

6. Therefore, the snap filter is racist.

Substitute 1 & 4 with any issue in America or Europe and you will have the basis of every racial grievance of the past 30 years.

I'm asian and I find this filter hilarious and would actually use it if I did use snapchat. This world is too damn PC and people get butt hurt over the tiniest thing. The world is not a place that will cater to all of your feelings, it's tough and real out there. If you can't handle a snapchat filter without being "triggered", then I'm afraid you won't survive out there in the real world.

I'm asian and I find this filter hilarious and would actually use it if I did use snapchat. This world is too damn PC and people get butt hurt over the tiniest thing. The world is not a place that will cater to all of your feelings, it's tough and real out there. If you can't handle a snapchat filter without being "triggered", then I'm afraid you won't survive out there in the real world.

I hear sub-prime safe spaces are the latest rage in real estate. Their pain is your profit.

I guess I should have taken offense and shouted racism, when I went to Florida and everyone had fun with my southern accent. Did I? No! I saw the humor in it as well. Sheesh some people need a sense of humor. Any little bit would help.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people that complained about it were not even Asian.

It is so sad that there is no respect for OTHER peoples rights and freedoms. " Oh! this and that offend ME, so even though YOU may like it I'm going to kick and scream like a 2 yr old until I get my way! "

Sickle Cell Anemia is racist, sue it!

Back