Software for netgear rp114

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtrg

Please move this post as needed. I have a NETGEAR RP114 wired router, no wireless capability. I ran the install wizard but I CANNOT connect to the net. I am using ports 1 and 4. Ports 2 and 3 are empty. ALL ports are lit. Is that correct? My DELL router only lites the ports being used. In addition the wizard shows 3 sections and two radio buttons for each section, AUTO and MANUAL. I chose AUTO for all 3 sections. The router says SUCCESS and READY on the next page. Yet no connection. I would appreciate if someone can tell me EXACTLY what info is entered in what field, where I find that info, how I recognixe it, any other choices I should make before I exit. The software is presented as a zipped file to VLC MEDIA player which CANNOT open the file. The wizard is ONLY accessable from the IP address 192.168.0.1 I need help please. I plan to use this on my backup tower as a fail safe. Thanks. I cannot find a video tutorial for this particular router. It is apparently a "LEGACY" model.

First, the lights should appear ONLY on ports with a connection to a LIVE system
(connection to a system in hibernation or powered-off have no lights).

Suggest the following sequence
  1. disconnect router from everything
  2. unplug the power to it and wait at least one minute
  3. power it on and examine the lights.
  4. there's a small hole (reset) near the WAN port(?uncertain on your model);
    stick a paper-clip into it and hold it in for 5 seconds -- the router lights should flash and dance some goofy sequence.
  5. now connect the router WAN port to your modem -- should now light that port
  6. from any running system, connect it to the router LAN port
The Wan port and one LAN port should be lite

rp114

Thanks for the info. After I ran the wizard with all sections set to AUTO, and NOT using my ISP account info as I have never needed it with other routers, and USING the DEFAULT log in, "ADMIN"/"1234" for pass. the wizard did its thing and said READY, yet no net connection was to be had. It was then that I noticed that all lites were lit instead of only the 2 towers I was using in ports 1 and 4. 2 and 3 were also lit even though they were empty. Not being a techno geek I gave the router to my tech friend to see whats up. I am sure he is aware of the reset and what info I need to enter in what field. The manual says that basic operation only requires the DEFAULT log in info, all fields set to AUTO. Security is optional as is my ISP account info. I can only hope that the manual is correct. This is a WIRED ROUTER ONLY.

When I worked tech support for D-Link we often had people use the drivers from another country and they usually worked better. Don't ask me why they just do.

rp114

My tech friend was able to open the install wizard for this router. He said it was slow and not very stable. also it is only wired. he disposed of it. FYI- VLC MEDIA PLAYER CANNOT open ANY software file of this type. My advice is that if VLC is used to open the file the device is of no use. Dispose of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back