Solar-powered SUV drives 620 miles through Morocco's off-road terrain without recharging

brochi

Forward-looking: For over a week, the two-seater SUV drove 620 miles (1,000 km) from Morocco's northern coast to the Sahara Desert and did not stop once to recharge. The car can seemingly go anywhere as it's made livable for long distances, is lightweight, and charges while driving.

Described as the "world's first off-road solar SUV," the two-seater named Stella Terra can drive long distances powered entirely by the sun, and its aerodynamic design helps it reduce drag while the solar panels on its sloping roof charge its Li-ion battery.

The prototype was unveiled in September, and it's the work of a team of 22 students aged between 21 and 25 at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) who tested it in Morocco earlier this month. For a week-and-a-half, they drove more than 620 miles on challenging landscapes starting from Tangier, through the Rif Mountains range, Fes, and ended in the sandy dunes of the Sahara Desert, with the only setback being a broken steering system that was fixed in a local workshop.

According to Thieme Bosman, the team's event manager, Stella Terra was tested on every type of surface as Morocco has a variety of landscapes and different surfaces. Bosman believes the road-legal car could help connect remote areas lacking good roads and with no energy.

The olive-green SUV has a top speed of 90 mph (145 km/h) and on a sunny day, it has a range of 440 miles (710km) on normal roads and around 342 miles (550 km) off-road. The vehicle weighs 1.2 tons, and the range can be 50km or less in cloudy conditions.

To the team's surprise, the vehicle proved to be one-third more efficient, and Bosman notes that its lightweight design made it less prone to getting stuck. Even its converter was found to be 97% efficient in turning sunlight into electrical energy. He also adds that the team designed everything from scratch, from the suspension to the inverters, and the goal was to make every element efficient while minimizing the car's weight.

According to the team's technical manager, Bob van Ginkel, the benefit of having solar panels at the top is that it allows for a smaller battery that can be charged while the car is in motion. This means the car can go off-road and go almost anywhere without needing charging points.

While going anywhere is possible, Ginkel also notes that the designers built it on the idea of the solar-powered campervan that the university had produced earlier. It has fully reclining seats and solar panels that extend to maximize charging and create shade while the car is stationary.

According to Bosman, TU/e has been producing cars that are 5-10 years ahead of the market, but the challenge is turning those concept cars into vehicles that can be mass-produced. The team hopes this concept SUV can get there as they also aim to inspire carmakers to rethink their designs and innovate faster.

Image credit: STE, wirestock

Permalink to story.

How well would that car work if you had to remove almost half of the solar panels to allow for a rear windshield?

I wonder how well does the paneling stand up to bad weather such as snow, ice build up and hail?

Also, "road legal" (as they call it) isn't so in a lot of states in the US. Most states have a law that requires 2 mirrors to see what is behind them. This car doesn't appear to have any side mirrors and clearly doesn't have a rearview mirror because of the lack of a back windshield. Slap on some side mirrors and it could pass as road legal in some states, but not others because some do require by law a rearview mirror.

How well would that car work if you had to remove almost half of the solar panels to allow for a rear windshield?

I wonder how well does the paneling stand up to bad weather such as snow, ice build up and hail?

Also, "road legal" (as they call it) isn't so in a lot of states in the US. Most states have a law that requires 2 mirrors to see what is behind them. This car doesn't appear to have any side mirrors and clearly doesn't have a rearview mirror because of the lack of a back windshield. Slap on some side mirrors and it could pass as road legal in some states, but not others because some do require by law a rearview mirror.
These "deficiencies" would be easily overcome especially if all automobile manufacturers were capable of letting their big-heads design cars for them instead of letting their little heads design cars for them, but nooooooo. Cars have to be supercars, for many manufacturers, especially if they want them to be "fun to drive". IMO, its partly the fault of that kind of mindset that progress in the EV world is, as I see it, dismally slow.

I wouldn't expect this to have great safety ratings either. Unless they did actually use enough carbon fiber (or whatever light material) to reinforce it well enough.

Assuming a "lightweight at all costs" approach, it will need a lot more weight to make it safe (which will decrease it's efficiency). If otherwise, it'll just be prohibitively expensive lol

That's one awesome achievement. In some states and countries blessed with lots of sun, this would a very appealing car to have (and where the funny excuse of ."bad weather such as snow, ice build up" is a non-issue).

Of course, there are people and their oil industry pals who would never accept the fact that such a car is acceptable and will find the lamest excuse to bad mouth it.

I wouldn't expect this to have great safety ratings either. Unless they did actually use enough carbon fiber (or whatever light material) to reinforce it well enough.

Assuming a "lightweight at all costs" approach, it will need a lot more weight to make it safe (which will decrease it's efficiency). If otherwise, it'll just be prohibitively expensive lol
Not only that, it's just a day time car. If it would be prohibitively expensive now, think of what a recharging system to carry it into the night would cost.

That's one awesome achievement. In some states and countries blessed with lots of sun, this would a very appealing car to have (and where the funny excuse of ."bad weather such as snow, ice build up" is a non-issue).

Of course, there are people and their oil industry pals who would never accept the fact that such a car is acceptable and will find the lamest excuse to bad mouth it.
I would be an awesome achievement indeed if it were practical, but given the construction methods used to make it, I doubt if it is now practical enough to replace its internal combustion counterparts.

These "deficiencies" would be easily overcome especially if all automobile manufacturers were capable of letting their big-heads design cars for them instead of letting their little heads design cars for them, but nooooooo. Cars have to be supercars, for many manufacturers, especially if they want them to be "fun to drive". IMO, its partly the fault of that kind of mindset that progress in the EV world is, as I see it, dismally slow.
I would give a gold turkey to anyone who could design a practical car to defeat the oil industry pollution machines.

"Even its converter was found to be 97% efficient in turning sunlight into electrical energy"

I assume this is the efficient use of energy from solar cells- probably 6 plus stages where efficency needed - eg collecting , harvesting , storing , using etc

I think from memory anything over 35% is really good for solar production and you paid a lot for extra percentages

Some upset people here - this is really just a fun proof of concept project
add in future cars coated in material itself over and above to generate electricity - more efficient solar cells ( using 2 or more parts of light spectrum etc - ) - lighter weight cars - fold out lunch time solar cells

Don't we already have solar planes that can fly around the earth nonstop ? - huge huge wings

From the original article, it sounds like the solar is only providing +50 km to the battery range.

Which is less impressive, but more in line with the solar tech I’m aware of.

Yeah, things like the lack of crash safety or usefulness IRL IS pretty lame. We'd all love regulators to screw off so we could have 70s car bodies back, however that wont be happening.

Yes there are issues that will decrease performance of the solar panels. That’s why it’s so important that they can achieve such mind boggling range on a good day. You don’t need more than 50km a day from solar to change EV’s to a ‘charging is only for long trips’ scheme, which is what they were getting on an overcast day.

Now I live in Greenland, so I know a little bit about adverse weather conditions 🫣 and even here I’d expect to be running on solar only for at least three quarters of the year with this kind of charging. It’s not like we have a foots worth of snow piled up on our cars every day…

I need unobstructed rear view while driving. Side mirrors alone not enough, even though these are also very important for me. I don't want to look at the screen that may display hind-camera view instead - it's not as intuitive as looking at the rear windshield from the rear view mirror quickly and go back to the front view.

Yeah, things like the lack of crash safety or usefulness IRL IS pretty lame. We'd all love regulators to screw off so we could have 70s car bodies back, however that wont be happening.

If it were up to the car industry (and many crazy Americans), you will still have no safety (airbags, safety belts, crash zones, etc) in your car in 2023!. They were against anything resembling safety. Hey, "personal freedom!!" / "it'll make cars more es pensive..."

They were FORCED to have safety measures at each step.

Google it.

I need unobstructed rear view while driving. Side mirrors alone not enough, even though these are also very important for me. I don't want to look at the screen that may display hind-camera view instead - it's not as intuitive as looking at the rear windshield from the rear view mirror quickly and go back to the front view.

I agree with the need for that. Especially in cars like my 2015 Santa Fe car which has bad rear view even with a camera.

Now a tiny HD camera above the license plate gives me 180 degree HD quality view on a wide rear view mirror in its place. Total cost: About $200, installed.

Yeah, it's has dashcam too.

Wasn't there a recent article about Bill Gates and our administration that wants to regulate the sun (partially block it) due to global warming? If I recall the article here had a meme pic of THE SIMPSONS Mr Burns sketch blocking the sun. These two categories can be a nightmare if you think about.It could mean more control.I doubt it will ever come true short term wise but you never know ha ha.

If it were up to the car industry (and many crazy Americans), you will still have no safety (airbags, safety belts, crash zones, etc) in your car in 2023!. They were against anything resembling safety. Hey, "personal freedom!!" / "it'll make cars more es pensive..."

They were FORCED to have safety measures at each step.

Google it.

You're right. You've exemplified the Progressive mentality. It forces other people to do things against their will. It's justified by the belief that Progressives know better than everybody else. It's for the common good, for "progress', and follows 'the science'.

However, the truth is far murkier. What usually happens under a Progressive regime is that life becomes much more expensive for the average person. That's because the RICH will twist progressive initiatives to their benefit.

Here's an example of that insanity. It's now impossible to buy a new small pickup truck in the US. It's because of federal EPA requirements that add a surcharge on vehicles based on an arcane formula. It makes small trucks almost impossibly expensive.

The car industry was perfectly happy to manufacture energy efficient small IC trucks. Instead we got gas guzzlers, which the car industry loves.

I should point out that the EV industry has yet to manufacture a small, inexpensive EV. Something like the VW or Honda civic, that has great range (400+ miles), easy to work on, dirt cheap to operate, and lasts 200k miles. And they never will because EV battery technology is inherently inefficient and extremely expensive.

Back