Solid-State Storage: Will it really K.O. HDDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bla Bla Bla...really fast, power eficient, and no spin-up. I get it.

But what I don't get is what they are going to do about its limited write cycles. And how the heck are they going to get around the "erase then write" dilemma?

We've got manufacturers like Toshiba boasting a 500GB SSD system, but how is that a selling point when the OS they are using flat out says, "There are just too many caveats right now to work on?" However, kudos to Windows for releasing a new W7 beta, enhanced for SSD users.

What I want to know is:

Are there any experts out there that might have insight as to how they will fix these major issues?

Err, I’ll put on the expert hat and say those questions are loaded ;)
Short answer, invent some new radically different technology that doesn’t use flash memory and can be sold in such high quantities that it offsets production and development costs. Until then you’re always going to have this problem with SSD, many manufactures develop workarounds however the same inherent problems have existed since day 1.

Inside the NAND memory chip there are billions of cells storing electrons. The higher the density the smaller the cells. Smaller cells store fewer electrons which leads to bit flipping which cause “limited write cycles”

You can’t write data to NAND or NOR memory without the sector being reset to a known value. If you did the data wouldn’t be stored incorrectly. (Lookup NAND and NOR gates) Thus the need for "erase then write".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back