Some Nexus 7 tablets suffering from screen lifting and dead pixels

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Some Nexus 7 early adopters are getting a bit more than they bargained for in the $199 tablet, and not in a good way. Reports and photos have been surfacing this week that show two major display-related issues affecting Google’s first tablet.

The first issue that some users are reporting is that the display is actually lifting up from the body of the tablet as shown in the photo below. Customers can reportedly push the display back down into the housing and it will stick but eventually rises back out. It appears that the adhesive holding down the display is either faulty and already worn out, wasn’t applied properly or perhaps didn’t have enough time to cure.

nexus google tablet nexus 7 dead pixels lifting screen

Some users are also discovering that their shiny new Google tablet has a problem with dead pixels. The author of this Droid Life article says his tablet arrived with a single dead pixel and that similar complaints can be found on multiple tech forums across the web.

nexus google tablet nexus 7 dead pixels lifting screen

If your device has either of these issues, it’s recommended that you either contact Google for a return or take it back to the retail store you purchased from to ask for an exchange. After all, the display is one of the key components of this or any tablet – it’s not something you want to have problems with. Note that Google only offers a 15-day return policy so you might want to act quick.

Droid Life has additionally published a guide on how to repair the screen lifting issue on your own, although I’m pretty sure that doing so would void your warranty.

Permalink to story.

Don't screens and devices have the old acceptable tolerances of dead pixels clauses anymore? x amount of stuck on, x amount of stuck off, in relation to where they are on the screen? Maybe that is something I remember from the early days of TFT screens and TVs...

Well this kind of article will really damage the sells of the product.!

im still interested has Asus normally makes good products and honor the warranty VERY easily

Other than making people aware, I really don't see how this is that big of a problem. No where in this article or the link does it say how many units were found defective unless I missed it somewhere. I'm sure the same story could have been written about some company's toasters or vacuum cleaners.

This is normal. Even the best and most expensive devices have flaws out of the assembly line. Nothing unusual about this at all. For every 100 flawless devices sold, 5 will have some kind of defect.

Well this kind of article will really damage the sells of the product.!

im still interested has Asus normally makes good products and honor the warranty VERY easily

Fact: If news like this effected the sale of a product. There would never be another product sold in the history of the earth. Period.

Don't screens and devices have the old acceptable tolerances of dead pixels clauses anymore? x amount of stuck on, x amount of stuck off, in relation to where they are on the screen? Maybe that is something I remember from the early days of TFT screens and TVs...
Yes they do, and its ridiculous as ever, 3 pixels side by side or 5 seperated pixels or some such nonsense, but thats the authors point, those are stipulations for warranty service, if you return the item within its return period the reason doesnt matter.

This is normal. Even the best and most expensive devices have flaws out of the assembly line. Nothing unusual about this at all. For every 100 flawless devices sold, 5 will have some kind of defect.

Except in this case it seems to be much higher, and people are concernced because of the terrible QC Issues ASUS has become known for with their transformer tablets, not to mention lack of customer service.
(sorry for double post)

Oh god, not a dead pixel!! How is anyone ever going to see on those things??! Lol I joke, but hopefully these problems aren't that widespread. I'd be really disappointed in Google if I found out they pushed out defective hardware.

Back