Sony announces PSVR 2 price, release date, and 11 new games

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Sony has announced that the PlayStation VR 2, or PSVR 2, will launch on February 22, 2023, with pre-orders opening on November 15—you can register for an invitation to preorder right now. It also revealed the headset's price, and it's a lot: $549.99, more expensive than the PlayStation 5 console.

As per PlayStation.Blog, that $549.99/€599.99 /£529.99 price—the original PSVR launched at $399—will include the headset, Sense controllers, and stereo headphones. For those who want something to play on their new device, there's a more expensive ($599.99/€649.99/£569.99) bundle pack that also includes Horizon Call of the Mountain along with everything in the standard pack.

On the same day the PSVR 2 launches, the PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station will also be available for $49.99/€49.99/£39.99. It allows Sense controller owners to charge the devices using a click-in design without the need to connect to a PS5 console.

It's also noted that standalone PSVR 2 titles, including Horizon Call of the Mountain, will be available to pre-order starting this month, with more details to follow. In a separate announcement, Sony revealed 11 new PSVR 2 games are coming next year—read more about those here. The company said it is expecting more than 20 titles at launch.

Those who live in the US, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg will only be able to pre-order the PlayStation VR2 through PlayStation's online store at direct.playstation.com

The PSVR 2 features headset feedback, eye tracking (provided by Tobii), 3D audio, and adaptive triggers/haptic feedback from the Sense controllers. It uses four integrated cameras that track a user's body position and controllers in real-time.

The PSVR 2 also boasts a 2,000 x 2,040 per eye resolution, ~110-degree field of view, and 120Hz refresh rate on its OLED HDR displays. It connects to the PS5 via a single USB Type-C cable. Sony says the headset is slightly slimmer and lighter than its predecessor, sports an integrated vent for extra airflow, and has a lens adjustment dial for a more customized feel. We'll have to wait until next year to discover if it justifies that high asking price.

Permalink to story.

If that would work with PC I'd bought it straight away. Price is fine for that level of VR system. But to have separate VRs for different devices make little sense.
Unless you also wanna make your customers buy into your ecosystem, in which case it makes a lot of sense. The headset is utterly pointless from Sony's perspective if people don't buy it for a PS, because if they buy it for the PC, game developers won't develop PS games for the headset. And guess what, Sony sells PS games for the most part, not PC games.

If that would work with PC I'd bought it straight away. Price is fine for that level of VR system. But to have separate VRs for different devices make little sense.

I was thinking the same thing. Always look at options. My Quest 2 is showing it's age (and size/weight)

Thats alot of cash just to have someone catch the cable and wreck all your s**t.

c'mon sony, a cable, what a joke.
Valve Index is more expensive and, as well, a cable.
Cable is a better solution for people who are using PC due to less delay. Wireless image transmission is not there yet.

Cable is a better solution for people who are using PC due to less delay. Wireless image transmission is not there yet.
I don’t know, playing half life Alex on my quest to wireless was about perfect

Thats alot of cash just to have someone catch the cable and wreck all your s**t.

c'mon sony, a cable, what a joke.
It's way better than its previous VR kit. That one required the PS Camera to be hooked up and the player to be positioned right in front of it about 5-7 feet away, creating an ideal setting for a catastrophic accident (I know because I narrowly averted one while playing Iron Man). For the PSVR2, Sony dumped the camera and went with motion sensors, meaning playing from the couch in any position -- sitting, standing, directly in front of the TV, or skewed -- is possible. Plus it is only one cable that plugs directly into the PS5 rather than three cables (camera and split headset cable) that plug into a hub with yet another cable that connects the hub to the PS4/PS5 (add two more if you also want optical audio). First-generation was a PITA to setup and play -- second gen, much less so.

As a Quest 2 user, I can assure you that wireless is 100% there :)

I'm using the Virtual Desktop app and a cheap TP-Link Archer AX10 Wifi 6 router.

Last edited:
It's way better than its previous VR kit. That one required the PS Camera to be hooked up and the player to be positioned right in front of it about 5-7 feet away, creating an ideal setting for a catastrophic accident (I know because I narrowly averted one while playing Iron Man). For the PSVR2, Sony dumped the camera and went with motion sensors, meaning playing from the couch in any position -- sitting, standing, directly in front of the TV, or skewed -- is possible. Plus it is only one cable that plugs directly into the PS5 rather than three cables (camera and split headset cable) that plug into a hub with yet another cable that connects the hub to the PS4/PS5 (add two more if you also want optical audio). First-generation was a PITA to setup and play -- second gen, much less so.
The faff with setting up the VR1 stopped me playing on it so much - that and the rubber "mask" caused the lenses to steam up on a regular basis. Looking forward to the VR2 though the price is a little steeper than I'd hoped.

Back