Sony gives us a sneak peek at its 8K VR headset prototype

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Virtual reality headsets have seen considerable advances in recent years, with improved resolutions, refresh rates, and features. But the prototype device Sony recently showed off looks like a real next-gen VR solution, thanks to its amazing 8K display.

The device was revealed in a video as part of the Sony Technology Day. Sony R&D engineers Yasuko Ishihara and Kei Kimura demonstrated the headset, which, as you can see, is still very much in the prototype stage. The flagship feature is that it uses a 4K OLED microdisplay for each eye, allowing wearers to enjoy 8K resolutions.

The headset also boasts lower latency thanks to a processing time of 0.01 seconds or 10ms, helping make the action smoother and avoiding the nausea that can come from a delay between head movement and what the eyes see. Additionally, the use of microdisplays has reduced its overall weight.

We see in the demo how the headset’s high resolution is able to show fine detail in the car, from the texture on the leather to the numbers on the dials.

The headset will have applications in the fields of engineering design, medical, and entertainment. There’s also mention of it creating spaces for people to interact over a network—possibly a metaverse reference.

The next-generation PlayStation VR (PSVR) headset for the PS5 is expected to arrive sometime during the 2022 holiday season. And while it’s rumored to use OLED and low-latency technology, don’t expect an 8K resolution. As for when Sony’s prototype will become an actual, purchasable product, that day is even further away.

Permalink to story.

Unless you can actually read and comprehend.

"The next-generation PlayStation VR (PSVR) headset for the PS5 is expected to arrive sometime during the 2022 holiday season. And while it’s rumored to use OLED and low-latency technology, don’t expect an 8K resolution."
I didn't pay attention to that part. The title just hypnotized me.

These manufacturers realise a bikes speedo will still say 100 mph at 100 mph not 200 because its using 2 wheels.

Wait, nobody's questioning how an average enduser is supposed to drive these displays?

Even current gen hardware can barely handle a Valve Index from 2019.

It depends on the real resolution of the displays. If the width is truly 4000 pixels then it is 8k when put together.

While for VR resolution is important, what is even more important is the number of pixels per degree of view (kinda like the pixel density of phones).
8k is 4x 4k displays, not 2. Pimax has been doing this marketing hustle for years now.

Wait, nobody's questioning how an average enduser is supposed to drive these displays?

Even current gen hardware can barely handle a Valve Index from 2019.
And yet the Quest 2, which has higher resolution than the Index, works using with a mobile SOC.

You don't have to worry about the headset being too hard to drive. People just want crisp screens.

yeah you do. 2k,4k,8, are all multiplied in horizontal and vertical and they are all 16 by 9 ratio.
Wanna bet? Care to tell me what resolutions are listed for 4K here?

You could have a t least done a simple google search before going on a rant.

Here's the definition since you won't actually open the link:
"4K resolution refers to a horizontal display resolution of approximately 4,000 pixels."

Are you implying that anyone would produce a VR headset without any stereo overlap?
What does that have to with anything? How they create the 3D effect doesn't change the hardware specs. Hell, the lenses play just as big of a role just as the screens, should we add those too when we "calculate" the resolution?

What does that have to with anything? How they create the 3D effect doesn't change the hardware specs. Hell, the lenses play just as big of a role just as the screens, should we add those too when we "calculate" the resolution?
My point being that literally nothing in the headset is "8k wide, " as that seems to be the metric you're using. Not the image rendered, not what the eye sees, not the panels in the headset, nothing.

My point being that literally nothing in the headset is "8k wide, " as that seems to be the metric you're using. Not the image rendered, not what the eye sees, not the panels in the headset, nothing.
What the hell is "what the eyes sees"? In case you didn't know, for VR you don't even use pixels per inch (PPI) if that's what you are concerned about. You use pixels per degree of view, which is why lenses and FOV are just as important as the resolution of the panels.

And yes, it's the panels in the headset, we are talking about specs not biology. 8K wide is still 8K.

What the hell is "what the eyes sees"? In case you didn't know, for VR you don't even use pixels per inch (PPI) if that's what you are concerned about. You use pixels per degree of view, which is why lenses and FOV are just as important as the resolution of the panels.

And yes, it's the panels in the headset, we are talking about specs not biology. 8K wide is still 8K.
Are you legitimately confused by that statement? Literally nothing presented to the eye by the headset is ever 8k wide. I know exactly what PPD is, and it's not a part of this discussion.

There are no 8k wide displays, no 8k wide images rendered, nothing. You haven't named a single thing in this headset that is 8k wide.

Are you legitimately confused by that statement? Literally nothing presented to the eye by the headset is ever 8k wide. I know exactly what PPD is, and it's not a part of this discussion.

There are no 8k wide displays, no 8k wide images rendered, nothing. You haven't named a single thing in this headset that is 8k wide.
Since this is how low I have to go to explain, let's do some simple math.
What is 4 + 4 ?

Its not 8K per se... But as the images in each eye are not mirrored, its Displaying the same amount of pixels , equivalent to 8k....
Though not true 8k, Im guessing that is the technical reason it can be attributed to such....

Back