Sony hacked again, this time for phishing purposes

Emil

Staff

Sony has been hacked once again, although this time is not as serious. Security firm F-Secure has discovered that a Web server belonging to Sony is hosting a phishing site that targets customers of the Italian credit card company Carta Si. The good news is that this time, the PlayStation Network is unaffected!

Sony Thailand has the domain sony.co.th, and this attack is hosted on hdworld.sony.co.th. F-Secure has notified Sony about the issue.

Phishing attack sites work by tricking people into entering their login credentials and other sensitive data into a fake website, which looks as if it is legitimate. Users and their browsers should always check the URL of the page they are on before handing in such information to a webpage.

In this case, the malicious site is hosted on Sony's servers, which means that if a browser checks the domain, it will look valid. Thankfully, browsers eventually catch up on these hijacks (some browsers are already warning users if they navigate to this Sony domain). Still, users should always check the URL, just in case. It's not clear what other phishing attacks the server in question could be hosting, but Sony will likely take them all down as soon as possible.

At the beginning of April, Anonymous executed a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack against the Sony PlayStation website. Later last month, the PlayStation Network was hacked. Earlier this month, Sony was announced that 24.6 million Sony Online Entertainment accounts were compromised. Earlier this week, Sony PlayStation Network logins were exploited again

Permalink to story.

:sigh: Sony, you need to pull it together.
You should realize that negative publicity on top of mega network failure on top of log-in exploits is not the way to impress customers :shake head:

Take Your sits Ladys and Gentlemen This Year...THE MAIN EVENT!!!!! The New Sport!!!! Hacking Sony Over and Over Again!!!...this wil be long please take your popcorns and enjoy the year...LOL

I don't think it's really Sony's fault, it could have been any company being compromised. Sony is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't think it's really Sony's fault, it could have been any company being compromised. Sony is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Some of that might be true in fairness - No company is insurmountable to attack, not unless they're offline and cannot be attacked.

You do have to wonder how secure everything at Sony really is though, or just how much they're now suffering at the abuse of crackers.

I fear having made such a huge target of themselves in recent times there will be no shortage of those wishing to attack them - it makes you wonder if they can move on from the damage this has caused long term.

Hmm... Should we get the premium security suite, or the best buy plug-and-play version... Let's just save some money and hire that guy on the street standing outside of best buy who may or may not have any qualifications.

- Sony People's thoughts

*facepalm* Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on you, fool me three times, shame on you... When will Sony learn?

If you ask me this is so suspicious!!! They the only company to be hacked so many times in the last few weeks... It amazes me how they can be breached so easily (Sarcastic Face) cause I'm sure that they as a multi billion dollar company wont have such weak security measures. Just look at the lengths they go to in protecting game piracy issues. They have looked at security, its just a issue like all company's have of flaws being exploited.

If you ask me there has to be a inside guy or they should take closer look at the rival they have... Don't you think it's funny how you don't hear of attempts of hacking on Xbox or so on hmmmm...

To be a hater of Sony is to be a hater of technology as they have basically laid the foundations for portable gaming, being that x box and Nintendo have learnt and built there consoles from Sonys previous success and failures... People who hate the Corp Sony just cant afford to probably purchase there items as they are pricey but are way worth the quality... I love tech, be it even a electric tooth brush....

As a die hard xbox fan, this is fun. PS2 users are now losing the 'which system is better debate', in epic fashion. :)

KRATOS!! Please do something about it or I swear as the GOD OF HACKING that you'll be sacrified here @ THE LAND OF INFAMOUS ANONYMUS!

It seems anything negative about SONY is guaranteed ...by: Emil Protalinski ...Hhhmm? Do you report on anything else? or ur too busy camping on SONY to do so?

Anyways, these news are stale an lack punch. The SONY bashing has worn off now... "Next!!!"

Back