Sony: Nintendo makes "babysitting tools," Microsoft's motion gaming "is cute"

Emil

Staff

Apparently Sony is a little unhappy with how Nintendo and Microsoft are performing in the gaming industry recently, or the company is just lashing out against the competition as usual. Sony PlayStation CEO Jack Tretton recently interviewed with CNN and he had some choice words for his company's two biggest rivals.

"Our view of the 'Game Boy experience' is that it's a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those," Tretton said. "He's too old for that."

The "Game Boy experience" is a reference to Nintendo's DS handheld family, which has sold more than 146 million units worldwide. Sony's PSP is significantly lower at 67 million. Maybe Sony should consider targeting younger gamers as well?

Tretton says his team is excited about 3D gaming (with requires 3D glasses on the PS3), which is finding its way into upcoming releases like Uncharted 3 and SOCOM 4. We find this interesting given that Nintendo recently released the 3DS, the first mainstream gadget that can display 3D graphics without the need for special glasses. Meanwhile, Sony's unreleased Next Generation Portable (NGP) doesn't do 3D. It appears the company simply believes in 3D for the console, but not the portable.

Speaking of consoles, although the Sony PlayStation 3 is being trounced by the Nintendo Wii and the Xbox 360 in sales numbers, Tretton believes the PS3 is going to make a comeback. "They're starting to run out of steam now in terms of continuing to be relevant in 2011 and beyond," he said. "I mean, you've gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? How does this thing scale? Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I'm doing true accurate motion gaming?"

Sony has been saying this for a while now, but while the PS3 does appear to be doing a bit better than it was earlier, it looks like it will remain in third place for quite a while longer. The gaming giant had a window to catch up to Microsoft, but with the boost from Kinect sales, it's not look so good. After all, the "cute" Kinect was recently crowned the fastest-selling consumer electronic device by Guinness World Records.

Permalink to story.

When you cant prove the superiority of your own product its time to slag off the competition

The DS is for children? Tell that to all the commuters I see daily on the train with the DS's and 3DS's. I still have yet to see someone with a PSP.

Ps3 already passed 360 is world wide sales so they can't be doing that bad. 360 is now in last place like it means anything there all rich. 3D is a gimmick and on the 3ds it looks horrible and isn't worth it. Maybe the glasses can prevent my eyes from wanting to bleed as I look t it? ~Xclusiveitalian (Didnt want to log in at school)

This really comes across as Sony pouting in the corner like a young child after throwing a temper tantrum.
As much as I love my PS3 & PSP, Sony is loosing my respect more and more every day.

Every PSP past the classic look has been just the same thing, each with a bit more fail from sony.

Besides... a lot of us (Those who grew up playing Mario Bross) enjoy playing DS games (At least I know I do), only 1 time I THOUGHT of having a PSP and it was just to play final fantasy crisis something.

PS3? Might be doing "ok" after years and years and years of almost giving away the console with no proffit...

Anonymous anyone?

Sony you loose face every day.

Guest said:
Ps3 already passed 360 is world wide sales so they can't be doing that bad. 360 is now in last place like it means anything there all rich.
Nope, PS3 is still last as of end of 2010 numbers. Sales for Q1 2011 have not yet been released.

After Sony was put in its place with the Betamax, they actually came out with a lot of good, high quality products. Unfortunately once they "won" the BluRay war, they got a big head again, and started doing all this crap.

So far all the sci-fi movies I've seen have people controlling computers using their hands, not holding some wand.

The main reason they continue to get their sales is that they offer exclusive games that don't get released on other consoles. The included BluRay drive WAS a nice selling point, but that was only when a standalone cost as much as a PS3. Now that they're in the sub-100 category, and I've seen BluRay burners advertised for 60 bucks. Their last great gaming innovation was to release a Wii controller for the PS3.

Sony's business strategy for the past 2 decades has been to keep releasing proprietary formats hoping, like BluRay unfortunately did, that one of them is going to get adopted as a world wide format and they can grow fat on licensing fees. They need to fail spectacularly again so that they can go back to putting out good products.

Emil said:
Guest said:
Ps3 already passed 360 is world wide sales so they can't be doing that bad. 360 is now in last place like it means anything there all rich.
Nope, PS3 is still last as of end of 2010 numbers. Sales for Q1 2011 have not yet been released.

He meant that in 2010 more PS3s were sold than Xboxs (What's the plural of Xbox?.) This actually validates the point the SONY guy made his comments. I dunno about the Wii though...

While I do think its lame for sony to say such things about the competition, i think they all have their good and bad points.

To Emil. Xbox360 sales figures are absolutely irrelevant compared to PS3. I guarantee you that most of their sales are from those people who replaced broken xbox's so as to continue playing their catalogue of games.
I read of one poor lads comments once saying he was buying like his seventh xbox. Some people should learn when to just give up.
I have a PS3 60GB, from new when they came out. Needed 1 reflow. Not bad in my opinion.

And for the price they were always worth the money compared to the 360. The Fail of the HD DVD player priced almost the same as the console on release. The controllers that take batteries or need a rechargeable pack at extra cost. Add it up and I believe the PS3 had it right. They gave everything from the start.

And thats why i game on a PC, Sony is a complete bastard, and Microsoft... well its Microsoft, and for Nintendo that wiii is extremely childish once you hardcore game. Once they start poking each other like a bunch of kidos in the back of the car its time to move up and leave that 5yo console, just pick it up and put it on the microwave like i did.

Omnislip said:
He meant that in 2010 more PS3s were sold than Xboxs (What's the plural of Xbox?.) This actually validates the point the SONY guy made his comments. I dunno about the Wii though...
That would be XBOXen. Just like the plural of box. i.e. "I have two boxen of doughnuts."

A free cookie goes to whomever knows what I'm referencing. ;)

The advantage of the PS3 resides in its Blu Ray disk format. That was sort of a win bet on the long run, as games are becoming more and more content heavy.

However, the rest of the hardware is kind of obsolete, and the current 3d fever will require even more horsepower than usual. On the other hand, programmers are also learning to take full advantage of the architecture.

Regarding the Move controller, is it any better than the competition? Or is it just a 'me too' gimmick?

If ps3 can release a handheld device with the graphics of a ps3 then I would be sold. The article states that the psp2 doesn't have 3ds and im glad it doesn't. Am I the only one that finds 3d headache inducing? It's kinda off topic but I was referring to this (http://www.gamespy.com/articles/115/1159284p1.html) Doesn't matter tho. It's funny watching these companies put each other down they are all rich, in the end all 3 consoles were a success as they made tons of $$$! On a side notes, when is PC going to come out and put everyone else down with it's 100 billion console sold?

Isn't the Playstation Move just a Wii remote with a glowing nob on the end of it. Nintendo got their 1st, Sony followed, the end. No matter who gets most sales, they copied the Wii because it did so well.

Guest said:
While I do think its lame for sony to say such things about the competition, i think they all have their good and bad points.

To Emil. Xbox360 sales figures are absolutely irrelevant compared to PS3. I guarantee you that most of their sales are from those people who replaced broken xbox's so as to continue playing their catalogue of games.
I read of one poor lads comments once saying he was buying like his seventh xbox. Some people should learn when to just give up.
I have a PS3 60GB, from new when they came out. Needed 1 reflow. Not bad in my opinion.

And for the price they were always worth the money compared to the 360. The Fail of the HD DVD player priced almost the same as the console on release. The controllers that take batteries or need a rechargeable pack at extra cost. Add it up and I believe the PS3 had it right. They gave everything from the start.

I've had my 360 since launch and I haven't had a single problem with it(besides it getting stolen recently). People who were buying new 360's, after getting the Ring of death, should read more. That error was covered by microsoft free of charge. And by 2010(which emil was speaking of) there have been so many die shrinks to the gpu/cpu that the ring of death wasn't even an issue.

As for my PS2 I've had several and sony wouldn't own up to their error. So, I wouldn't compare companies in that regard.

I do feel that Microsoft should've went with blu-ray in the first place though, as HD-DVD wasn't enough space to encourage growth for video games.

Somehow I'm not surprised at Sony's lack of class. Friendly competition is good, but don't beat up the competition when it is your company that failed miserably in the market research division.

chazz said:

I've had my 360 since launch and I haven't had a single problem with it(besides it getting stolen recently). People who were buying new 360's, after getting the Ring of death, should read more. That error was covered by microsoft free of charge. And by 2010(which emil was speaking of) there have been so many die shrinks to the gpu/cpu that the ring of death wasn't even an issue.

As for my PS2 I've had several and sony wouldn't own up to their error. So, I wouldn't compare companies in that regard.

I have a PS3 because Microsoft handled the crappy drives they put in the first xboxes so poorly. I had great games (Morrowind being foremost) that I wanted to continue playing, then my drive went bad. A bad laser made an entire generation of xboxes go bad, but did Microsoft recall them? Fix them for free? No. They'd charge you $100 to fix them and couldn't guarantee they wouldn't wipe your hard drive (to change out a dvd drive?). I knew after that they couldn't be trusted.

EMIL...pls get your facts straight before go spilling venom back @ SONY ..The PS3 surpasses the 360 worldwide by almost 1mil sales an counting. Nobody today wanna go buy a game system with a disk format thats dead and the Wii hype is worn off so is the 3DS's... the so called glasses free 3D images are crap. Nintendo knows this yet use the "Glasses free" hype to sell the 3Ds to gullible parents an young kids.

Back