Sony unveils Vaio E Series 14P notebook with Kinect-style gesture control

Jos

Staff

Sony is expanding its Vaio E series of laptops with a new 14-inch model that, while not quite worthy of ultrabook status with its 5-pound weight and 0.88-inch thickness, offers a distinctive design and a decent feature set. The company has used a flashy two-tone design for the chasis, with highlight color wrapping around the edges, and threw in features like a backlit keyboard and a large trackpad into the mix.

In terms of specs,  the Vaio E Series 14P comes with a 2.3GHz Sandy Bridge Intel Core i3-2350M processor, 4GB of RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7670M discrete graphics, a LED-backlit 1366 x 768 display, 500GB hard drive, and up to seven hours of battery life. There's also a DVD burner and Sony has included a (rather gimmicky) gesture system that will let users control certain apps with hand movements in front of the camera.

sony vaio series kinect-style

Sony says you'll be able to swipe left or right to move through webpages or photo galleries, or do things like lowering your hand which pauses music playback, while rotational movements can increase or decrease music volume. At this stage the feature only works with Windows Media Player, IE9, PowerPoint and PowerDVD.

Connectivity and expansion features include Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11b/g/n radios, as well as a healthy amount of ports with two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, and an HDMI connection.

No word on pricing yet or any plans to upgrade the 14P with Intel's soon-to-be-released Ivy Bridge chips.

Permalink to story.

Sigh... I'd tell you why this new "gesture system" is the epitome of idiocy, but I think it speaks for itself.

I wonder, though. Do these companies not know people now read reviews and read "tech" articles before purchasing a device? Do they really think we are completely oblivious to these gimmicks?

With all this incentive for touch pads this seems against the grain. Catering to the non typist (as does touch)? Lets all take a typing lesson.

Jumping on the gesture system now seems like jumping on the titanic after the lifeboats had been launched

Back