Sorry i am posting this here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumsterr

I read that the new thread link is locked, so i can't post anything for my computer problems. Hope this is good enough to be moved there.

I've been having problems with my programs lately. Yahoo Messenger, Control panel - Add or remove programs, verizon online protection will not open. Neither will disk defragment.

Wth is going on?

These are the messages that show up when i try to open each program.

Verizon Yahoo Messenger - Yahoo Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. This has been going on for two days now.

Add or remove programs - An exception occurred while trying to run C:\Windows\system 32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\appwiz.cpl

Verizon Online Protection - Dashboard Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I did a system restore, but it's still going on. If it's an adware, virus, or trojan, how can i remove it if i can't get into my virus protection program which is verizon protection??

As far as i know, these are the only programs not functioning.

thanks.

Can you run Windows from a cold boot in repair mode? If so, that will fix it enough for you to take a closer look

To be honest, i have no idea what that is. After this incident, i ran windows in safeboot network, and every program worked fine. I went back to normal start-up, i still had the issue.

what is cold boot?

Could you tell us what your anti-virus package is?
Also have you installed any new hardware or programs - or anything else that might have triggered this off?

I wouldnt exactly know what triggered it off, but i thing somehow i fixed it. I noticed that since i made a shortcut to turn off the laptop, instead of going to start - shutdown, that had seemed to cause my problem. I restarted my laptop to make sure and sure enough everything seemed fine. But i will see whhen i turn it off and turn it on again.

I run on verizon yahoo. they're my virus scanner.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed about this saga.
Get a different virus and spyware scanner, for best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back