Specify which drive for memory stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I've tried searching multiple different ways to find an answer, and I have thus far been unsuccessful. I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have a database (just Access) on a USB memory stick. It moves from computer to computer at work, and it may load into G:, F:, etc. Is there a way to tell the stick to name itself when it loads to keep this drive name consistent? The database calls out to the stick, and the calls don't automatically rename themselves when the stick does, so the links often break.

I hope this makes sense... I appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

try this while the stick is inserted

click Start->Run, enter diskmgmt.msc

Rt click on the current memory stick drive letter and select Change Drive Letter

Pick what you want

Thanks! I worry about my coworkers not remembering this, though. Is there something equivalent to a macro that would reside on the stick and run every time it's inserted to load it to a specified drive?

If you do that on every comp, the co-workers won't notice it. Just use a letter way back in the alphabet, like 'W'

Once the drive is named that, it will always get that appelation when you connect it.

Just remember, should that specific 'stick' fail, you will have to do this with the new 'stick' also and delete the other stick (drive) to free up the letter. Or vice versa.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back