Spectrum is no longer allowed to operate in New York, must pay fines and pack its bags

William Gayde

Staff
Big quote: "These recurring failures led the Commission to the broader conclusion that the company was not interested in being a good corporate citizen and that the Commission could no longer in good faith and conscience allow it to operate in New York. Today’s actions are meant to address Charter’s failings and to ensure New York has a partner interested in the public good, not just lining its pockets"

The New York State Public Service Commission has effectively kicked internet provider Spectrum out of the state. The decision was issued Friday in a scathing press release from John Rhodes, chair of the Commission.

Back in 2016, Charter, doing business as Spectrum, entered into a controversial merger with Time Warner Cable. New York accepted the deal at the time on the contingency that the company meet several performance goals in the future. This included expanding coverage to rural and underserved areas as well as increasing their statewide delivered internet speeds to 100Mbps by the end of 2018.

Since then, New York says Spectrum has fallen short in nearly every aspect of the deal, failing to meet the incremental deadlines and obligations for several rural communities, they have engaged in unsafe field practices, and they have attempted to obfuscate their shortcomings by blaming other companies.

In addition to revoking their approval of the 2016 merger, New York has issued $3 million in fines and referred the case to the State Supreme Court. The Commission has also referred a false advertising claim to the Attorney General after Spectrum missed every network expansion target but continued to advertise as if they were delivering fast speeds. This isn't the first time that New York has fought back against Charter/Spectrum over its dismal track record. Back in February of 2017, the state's former Attorney General sued them over fraudulent internet speed claims.

Commission Chair John Rhodes said in a statement that "Charter's repeated failures to serve New Yorkers and honor its commitments are well documented and are only getting worse. After more than a year of administrative enforcement efforts to bring Charter into compliance with the Commission’s merger order, the time has come for stronger actions to protect New Yorkers and the public interest."

In the short term, Spectrum must continue to operate uninterrupted for the next 60 days while the state finds an acceptable replacement service provider. New York has also requested that Spectrum design a transition plan. In a statement, the company said they have "extended the reach of [their] advanced broadband network to more than 86,000 New York homes and businesses." Their contract stated they would actually expand access to 145,000 homes and businesses.

Permalink to story.

While Charter's IP services are OK, their cable is terrible and once you drop that service you get constant harassment to sign up for their on line services (which also suck). They have recently bumped speed up from 100 MPS to 200 MPS ... we're just holding our breath to see when they drop a price increase on us ...

Wish Florida would do the same, ever since Charter Sp(Rectum Cable bought out Brighthouse Cable Their Service has Sucked!!!! My Cable/Internet Bill went from $125.00 to $185.00 with No change in service. And Yet being a Brighthouse Customer for almost 20yrs Didn't mean Sh*t to Charter/Spectrum... But they advertise for New Customers $44.00 each for Their Cable, Internet and Home Phone. I called after My bill changed and was told if I wanted the New Customer Prices, I'd have to Cut Off My Cable/Internet Service for 2-3 Months and then Call Back and Re-register as a New Customer!!!! WTF??? And Their Service for Both is Horrible, Their Cable Glitches and the Internet Won't Allow to Stream a Whole Movie from start to finish, and that is having (5) Spectrum Techs check it out and tell Me Everything is fine!!!!! They Should be Banned in Every State!!!!

Wish Florida would do the same, ever since Charter Sp(Rectum Cable bought out Brighthouse Cable Their Service has Sucked!!!! My Cable/Internet Bill went from $125.00 to $185.00 with No change in service. And Yet being a Brighthouse Customer for almost 20yrs Didn't mean Sh*t to Charter/Spectrum... But they advertise for New Customers $44.00 each for Their Cable, Internet and Home Phone. I called after My bill changed and was told if I wanted the New Customer Prices, I'd have to Cut Off My Cable/Internet Service for 2-3 Months and then Call Back and Re-register as a New Customer!!!! WTF??? And Their Service for Both is Horrible, Their Cable Glitches and the Internet Won't Allow to Stream a Whole Movie from start to finish, and that is having (5) Spectrum Techs check it out and tell Me Everything is fine!!!!! They Should be Banned in Every State!!!!

Sounds like a company is offering cheaper prices so everyone wants to join then throttles you, im sure there's a thing called contention ratio it should be like 50:1 in contract, so there's not too many people using the same network as you which should be in the contract so if they break this you maybe be able to get out.

Check back further to ownership. As soon as AT&T buys, any good service or honesty goes out the door. Wish Texas would kick AT&T out.

It's going to be important to see who takes over. Where I live, we don't get cable. But if you go into the towns then Spectrum is the only option for probably an hour in any direction. This is a huge deal for upstate NY.

I'm from Ohio I had Spectrum they told me they did not have contracts but they had bundles they bought out Time Warner they are so crooked my bill doubled the service sucked so I drop their service I did not even know I had a back bill when I went to pay them the lady that was there said Time Warner don't even exist anymore got real smart I said fine then and me and my daughter all walked out they need to drop Spectrum everywhere now they sent to collection agency after me but when I called to ask about the bill they cannot find a reference number be careful out there you who still have Spectrum they are wolves in sheep's clothing

This should have happened months ago. This is the crooked company I know about. They promised better programming and services and lower monthly bills. The whole deal was a farce.I live in upstate NYS in the Adirondack Mts. Our service is horrible, when you can get it and the prices have skyrocketed. Our Internet is so poor that I had to buy a WI first extender to boost signal for less than 40 ft distance from router. I so hope that a company will come in that provides decent service at reasonable let prices.

It's going to be important to see who takes over. Where I live, we don't get cable. But if you go into the towns then Spectrum is the only option for probably an hour in any direction. This is a huge deal for upstate NY.

What would happen is that some other company would take over their service; it wouldn't just *go away*.

Still, this is why States/Municipalities should own the physical cable(s), and not the ISPs themselves.

Having just experienced credit card fraud and having Spectrump charge my card the day after I reported it, my account was slapped with a $20 fee. On talking to a Spectrump representative, I was told I was charged that fee because they get charged a fee. I'm calling BS on this as a simple search reveals no merchant accepting a credit card is charged a fee if it is denied. Checks, yes; credit cards, no. I was also told that they might credit my account by refunding the fee. I have been with them for years, this is the first time this has happened, and this is how they treat loyal customers.

I am in NYS and I am glad to hear this, however, I wonder how they are going to transition Spectrump out and a new ISP in. Right now, even though I will have to pay more, I am researching 4G LTE data only plans.

First of several or is this a unique black swan?
Exactly! Every single complaint NY has against this company applies to every single provider out there- in NY or elsewhere. It's just politics, otherwise several states would've kicked out Verizon, Comcast and many others by now.

I think you missed your calling. IMO, a career in comedy would be more appropriate.
A comedian is a tough life. Ask Robin Williams about that or any other dead one, if you can. I enjoy few things more then laughing and making people laugh. But I know what you mean. Anyhow NY is suing Trump because they hate him and DeBlasio is an *****. The state has high taxes and the crime rate is terrible. Seen any MS 13 on your last trip to Long Island? Before you write trash realize what trash is

Just so you know - - In the Southern Calif area, both Spectrum and AT&T provide competitive services and I've had both now for more that five years (and NOT I don't work for either).

IMO, service is a regional issue, very similar to your local car dealership -- some (y) while others are (n)

I've had their service for a little over a year. When we signed up we were promised 100Mbps internet speed. Things went well for awhile then the speed began to come down. I complained multiple times because we were still paying for 100Mbps and not getting it. After many, many visits by service techs and no improvement, it got even worse now getting only 3.2Mbps, they tried to blame it on my computer. Said the network card was bad. So I took my comptuer in to have it checked out by the same guy who's always worked on it, very honest, he said there's nothing wrong with the card, working fine. I complained repeatedly and asked to have the money I've spent on 100Mbps partially refunded because I haven't gotten that speed in a long time. They refused. Asked to talk to someone in upper management and after being told twice someone from there would call me, they never did. So, I complained to the Better Business Bureau and the FCC. Still nothing. Spectrum has an F rating with the BBB by the way. How do these people say in business? Biggest rip off artists ever! Well thankfully the small town I live in now has another option for internet. Have an appointment soon to install their service. Good riddance to Spectrum.

Oh man this sounds familiar! The told me it's my network card in my computer! It's not!

You think that's bad, att's fabulous uverse internet at mom's was just reduced by an att repair man to 6 meg. download to keep it from going offline. These are the days of gigabyte internet in europe. What gives? I once told them I was going to use 4 instead of 2 wires from the kitchen to bedroom where the modem/gateway is. On their own they did this at my brother's, doubling up the twisted pair, and got 30 meg. download. If the govt. doesn't put the lines in, which they did for cable and phones, no one does it. Why isn't it free then if the utilities do nothing? Where is fiber all the way?

Back