Spyware Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshields13

Hi all!

I am using Earthlink as my ISP and like them very much. Amoung the other free goodies they provide is a free spyware blocker/checker from Webroot. It seems to work quite well, but after reading all the post here about using at least 2 programs, I downloaded Spybot. When I ran it last night, it found 2 items. One was no problem, but I have a question on the other. It is "DSO Exploit". Suposedly, it is a security hole in Internet Explorer. Since it is from Microsoft, I didn't want to delete it without checking with the folks who know. Can anyone tell me what this really is and does it matter if I delete it.

As always, thanks!!

I believe MS issued a patch for this - do a windows update and it may go away- though spybot may still recognize it as an exploit, it shouldnt be a problem.

Do not solely rely on Spybot. Install/update Adaware as well and run that. Together they find nearly everything under the sun.

When done, to be sure to be sure, run the online Spyaudit from Webroot.

When spybot encounters a DSO exploit, by "deleting" it, it means in essence removing the possibility of that being exploited.

I've used S&D to fix DSO exploits myself several times, never had a problem with it. S&D comes with an option to back up the registry before using it, I suggest you do so just in case there are problems, but after that go ahead and delete them, I don't think you'll have trouble.

And as our resident Guiness fan points out, running Spybot S&D, Adaware, webroot in conjunction with each other isn't a bad idea. While they overlap on many things, each program has several entries that only it can detect. And of course, keep your definitions up to date. :)

Good luck, hope this helps.

That Spamblocker that Earthlink has really sucks. I couldn't send a e-mail to someone because of it. After I had to go to the additional steps pf requesting to be included, it still wasn't received!

If you are that paranoid of spam and/or viruises stay off the internet!

videobruce - I'm not paranoid about spam at all! I asked a simple question as I did not know what DSO was. I have never had a problem with Earthlink. I don't think asking a simple question warrants your snide reply. I originally downloaded and use Spybot after reading the post here.

Jshields, I use Spybot and Ad-Aware (free version) and take the defaults on both programs and just check everything that shows. My machine is clean (Win XP Pro) and I've never had any issues because of either program.

IMHO, you're not being paranoid....just smart. Nobody wants to go through the trouble of reloading a machine because of a nasty that they can't get rid of.

Just my $.02 and hope it helps.

Thanks Masque. Appreciate the kind words. One other question. If I download Ad-Aware, it also has a registry backup. Do assume correctly that backing up the registry with Spybot was enough. I don't need to do it again with Ad-Aware, correct?

Thanks again.

Jeff

IMO that would be correct.....Spybot actually has a tendency to dig a bit deeper, so that is the restore point I would deem most necessary. I usually start with Ad-Aware and let Spybot pick up the rest.

There is no such thing as having too many restore points (unless you have space limitations. Generally not.)

In general, I would make a backup, use both programs, then make a backup afterwards- First in case the programs hoser it up, and second in case something new hoses stuff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back