Stability problems with HyperX PC2-8500 and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas all!

I have been having some stabilty problems lately and was wondering if anybody could help me out or offer any insight.

I have a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L and one stick 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-1066(PC2-8500) When i first got the mobo and RAM i never overclocked or changed any of the BIOS settings cause frankly i don't know too much about overclocking and what all those memory specifications mean and i didn't want to break it doing something stupid. I never had a problem until i installed Windows 7 and i kept getting blue screens of death with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT at random times. I tried installing Windows 7 RC1 a few months ago and i couldn't even get thru the install without a BSOD. I thought it was maybe compatibility issues that would be fixed up when retail was released but when i recently tried installing Window 7 retail it BSOD again during install saying MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I moved RAM to 3rd memory slot and it got thru install( maybe just coincidence) but then i started looking online and tried changing RAM settings with varying results. I had been running Windows XP and Vista at 6-6-6-18 at 1.8V (thats just default board settings) and never had a problem but Kingston lists 5-5-5-18 at 1.8V / 5-5-5-15 at 2.2V. If i run it at 5-5-5-15 at 2.2V it will blue screen of death two or three times a day and thats the most stable i have found. At 2.0V it will probably BSOD six or more. All at random times and never for any particular reason. I think its odd that it runs smooth on XP and Vista with whatever voltage i try but win7 is picky. I was wondering if anybody could offer any suggestions to get the system to run more stable. Maybe i just need to dial it in more precisely. In the meantime i have just been running good ole XP cuz i couldn't take it anymore with the restarts

Ryan

Your system likely wants to identical memory modules installed, rather than one module. One that is not identical to the first will work, but perhaps not as fast.

Your system likely wants to identical memory modules installed, rather than one module. One that is not identical to the first will work, but perhaps not as fast.
Thought I read somewhere in the release on Windows 7 that 3Gig RAM was requirement which would make Death screens "normal process" without it!! :darth:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back