Star Citizen is free to play until June

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Fleet Week, as it is also called, “is the period between Emancipation Day and Armistice Day that marks the beginning of the new recruitment year for the UEE Navy.” Ship builders are using the occasion to showcase their latest and greatest creations. Best yet, gamers will be able to test fly most of the ships on display.

Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Games is hosting a Free Fly event to celebrate the fictional in-game Invictus Launch Week.

From now through June 2, interested parties can sign up for an account, download the game and play for the duration of the event.

The developer said manufacturers will be cycling through the event every other day to keep the showcase fresh, so be sure to check back often to see what is available to take for a spin (or simply check the schedule to plan your week).

Star Citizen is a spiritual successor to Freelancer. The project was announced in 2013 through Kickstarter although development actually started a couple of years earlier. The game achieved more than $2.1 million in funding from its Kickstarter run and has gone on to generate over $286 million to date. This has allowed Cloud Imperium Games to hit a number of stretch goals, adding new features to the game at a regular clip, but has also kept the title in the alpha phase for an extended period of time.

The current build of Star Citizen is Alpha 3.9.

Permalink to story.

Area 18, fly with flying train to convention center, ships of manufacturers different each day... Best digital convention with stunning visual.

Man, I should re-download this. It's been a while, but I know I would sink hours in that I don't exactly have right now lol

Lol this game is still in alpha.

Is the release version coming in 2030?

Try 2050.

In all seriousness it's probably going to be another 2-3 years before we have something that's really worth playing.

Right now it's great to jump in, **** around then forget it until next few major updates. It's what I do.

It's what happens when you have overall ambitious project with some questionable management decisions.

Try 2050.

In all seriousness it's probably going to be another 2-3 years before we have something that's really worth playing.

Right now it's great to jump in, **** around then forget it until next few major updates. It's what I do.

It's what happens when you have overall ambitious project with some questionable management decisions.

Yup feature creep is not good for no game or atleast one you expect to finish this decade.

There's something seriously wrong. It constantly says my account is entered incorrectly or the captcha is wrong.

These are the WORST captchas I have ever seen in my life.

Judging by the issues, seems like it is an Alpha of the temporary free download version. Should reach beta beta in about couple of weeks.

In seriousness, I was a hardcore skeptic about SC, but now I firmly believe the game is on track to be actually released in all its glory.

Although I love Star Citizen and what they are trying to do, this build is far too buggy for average Joe out there.
You would do well to skip this patch even though it is free for a week.
Unless you are TERRIBLY curious, I suggest you turn your heels and look the other way.
Every time they bring some new tech in, it breaks what was working before.
Not sure what they were thinking letting everyone play it, especially when you factor in the known bugs that are in the patch notes.
If you intend to make amazing screenshots over New Babage spaceport, then by all means have a look. Other than that,.... nah, a hard pass.
It will take years more until it is what most would consider "playable".

Lol man you never fail to boast about something nobody cares about
Yup. It borders on ridiculous and it's obvious that the person is insecure and needs to boast to try to cover that up. Honestly it is more sad than anything else and I sincerely hope the person gets professional help.

Although I love Star Citizen and what they are trying to do, this build is far too buggy for average Joe out there.
You would do well to skip this patch even though it is free for a week.
Unless you are TERRIBLY curious, I suggest you turn your heels and look the other way.
Every time they bring some new tech in, it breaks what was working before.
Not sure what they were thinking letting everyone play it, especially when you factor in the known bugs that are in the patch notes.
If you intend to make amazing screenshots over New Babage spaceport, then by all means have a look. Other than that,.... nah, a hard pass.
It will take years more until it is what most would consider "playable".

It us stable as a rock for me no problems at all

3 minutes to load into the character creation screen, another 5 to load the game... First thing that happens? I get off my bunk and drop through the station floor all the way towards the planet.

Exit game, uninstall. This game is the biggest fiasco in computing history.

A modern Privateer was all fans of Origin and Roberts were waiting for, not this piece of crap.

3 minutes to load into the character creation screen, another 5 to load the game... First thing that happens? I get off my bunk and drop through the station floor all the way towards the planet.

Exit game, uninstall. This game is the biggest fiasco in computing history.

A modern Privateer was all fans of Origin and Roberts were waiting for, not this piece of crap.
To be fair it IS an early alpha, and as such it is riddled with plethora of bugs.

It is NOT a game yet, so please do not judge or compare it to one.

When it works it is splendid. When it does not, people loose nerves and clearly their head.

Also what people are waiting for, is not Privateer successor, it is a Wing Commander successor. That is not Star Citizen,. that is SQ42, which is being developed as priority over SC. behind closed doors, so no story gets out. That is the major reason people attribute "delays" to SC. Because SC is is the only thing they do get to see. No one Sees their progress on SQ42.

You can't blame people for feeling a bit cheated on. They paid hundreds or thousands all those years ago with nothing to show for it. I can understand ambition and it's certainly something to aim for when coming up with ideas for a game, but this definitely shows how too much of it can hurt you in the end.

You can't blame people for feeling a bit cheated on. They paid hundreds or thousands all those years ago with nothing to show for it. I can understand ambition and it's certainly something to aim for when coming up with ideas for a game, but this definitely shows how too much of it can hurt you in the end.
Those that paid a lot, seriously believe in the project. Also they know, they will get what they paid for at the end.
Until then, they can always try and test new things they add.
This also counts.

Back