Starfield goes live on Steam, but Skyrim in space remains a long way off

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Starfield might not have won the Most Anticipated Game title at last night’s Game Awards 2021, but that doesn’t mean excitement around the spacefaring adventure has waned. To ramp up the hype even higher, its Steam page is now live for all to see.

Starfield is still a long way from release. It’s not scheduled to launch until November 11, 2022, and that’s assuming there are none of the delays we’ve become so used to seeing with big games these days. The Steam page notes that it will be Bethesda Studios’ first original RPG in 25 years.

“In this next generation role-playing game set amongst the stars, embark on an epic journey to answer humanity’s greatest mystery,” reads the description.

The rest of the page mentions being able to create any character players want and the unparalleled freedom offered by the game. Bethesda itself has called Starfield Skyrim in Space, which certainly sounds like an exciting prospect. It’s being built using the studio’s all-new, next-gen Creation Engine 2, a modified version of which will be used in The Elder Scrolls 6.

There is no option to pre-order Starfield on Steam or from the game’s official website, though you can always wishlist it on the former to be notified of when it becomes available and sign up to the latter for all the latest news and updates.

Starfield was a favorite to win the Most Anticipated Game title at yesterday’s Game Awards but was beaten by Elden Ring—you can read more about the ceremony and its winners here. Given what happened with Cyberpunk 2077 and Battlefield 2042, consumers are warier of blockbuster titles that have been hyped to death. Here’s hoping Starfield lives up to its promise.

Permalink to story.

"It’s being built using the studio’s all-new, next-gen Creation Engine 2"

Yeah, just like the creation engine was an all-new, tweaked gamebryo engine. CE2 is just CE1 with some of the more horrendous bugs fixed and more bugs added, guaranteed. And I'll place good bets that 20 year old bugs, like the framerate physics bug, from morrowind are in starfield.

I’ve not followed this game. Why is it Skyrim in space? Is it just because it’s made by Bethesda? Didn’t they make the outer worlds? Which I really liked for about 10 hours then realised it was really boring. Wouldn’t it be closer to that?

I swear they fixed that in Fallout 4?
But it was there at launch, I remember having to limit my framerate because of it.
They fixed it in fallout 3
And fallout new vegas
and oblivion
and skyrim
and fallout 4
and fallout 76
Notice a trend here?
I’ve not followed this game. Why is it Skyrim in space? Is it just because it’s made by Bethesda? Didn’t they make the outer worlds? Which I really liked for about 10 hours then realised it was really boring. Wouldn’t it be closer to that?
It'sskyrim in space because.....well space I guess.

Outer worlds was made by the shell of the old obsidian team that made fallout 76 and KOTOR II.

They fixed it in fallout 3
And fallout new vegas
and oblivion
and skyrim
and fallout 4
and fallout 76
Notice a trend here?

It'sskyrim in space because.....well space I guess.

Outer worlds was made by the shell of the old obsidian team that made fallout 76 and KOTOR II.
You know more than me. I’m an enormous elder scrolls fan, I have fond memories of playing through Daggerfall with my dad. I loved Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. But I could never get on with fallout 3 or onwards. Something about the world just didn’t appeal to me.

So if Starfield is being made by the same team
that made Skyrim it could be quite good then.

Although after the year of releases we have had I’m not holding my breath. It’s Halo mania in my house at the moment, we are all playing Infinite. But, I am not that impressed if I’m honest.

All I ever wanted was the next TES game. Too many space games already. Zero interest. By the time Sykrim 2 comes out it may be too late. Like Duke Nukem. People move on. I'm older now too. Anything else than TES next game is stupid.

All I ever wanted was the next TES game. Too many space games already. Zero interest. By the time Sykrim 2 comes out it may be too late. Like Duke Nukem. People move on. I'm older now too. Anything else than TES next game is stupid.

The funny thin s, 10 years ago Chris Roberts bitched and moaned over the death of Space
Operas.

And after every other company saw the hundreds of millions fools were spending on ships, they all jumped onboard.

There are going to be over a dozen different successful AAA Space Games before Squadron 42 ever ships (even though I'll agree, I'm also tired of them.

You know more than me. I’m an enormous elder scrolls fan, I have fond memories of playing through Daggerfall with my dad. I loved Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. But I could never get on with fallout 3 or onwards. Something about the world just didn’t appeal to me.

Although after the year of releases we have had I’m not holding my breath. It’s Halo mania in my house at the moment, we are all playing Infinite. But, I am not that impressed if I’m honest.
I'm not impressed with infinite either. Too few maps, game modes, and no ability to select playlists. 6 years of development and this is the best 343 could offer? Bleh. and dont even get me started on the BS that is the insane monetization 343 is pursuing with $20 armor and $10 skins and all the unlocks from leveling up being tied to the battlepass. Utter insanity.

If you're talking starfield, I wouldnt count on it too much either after fallout 4, fallout 76, and the bethesda merch and mod stores, it's obvious the company is mroe interested in monetizing their properties rather then making good games.

Note to Bethesda: I would love to play Starfield on PC at or near launch, but if Steam is the only option to purchase a license to play it, my wallet is closed.

Also, when will you be releasing Skyrim on GoG? I'd love to actually own a copy for PC someday. It's ten years old, you know.

Because there aren't a ton of fantasy based RPG games?

I felt the opposite...while I enjoyed Elder Scrolls games, Fallout 3 and New Vegas connected with me much more. I guess it is down to what kinda setting you prefer.

Note to Bethesda: I would love to play Starfield on PC at or near launch, but if Steam is the only option to purchase a license to play it, my wallet is closed.

Also, when will you be releasing Skyrim on GoG? I'd love to actually own a copy for PC someday. It's ten years old, you know.
Why not just buy the game directly from the Developer which is what benefits them the nost for their work?

I always liked The Elder Scrolls series compared to Fallout series (when comparing TES 3-5 vs FO 3-4) because of lush vegetations, clean waters and unspoilt environments. As interesting as Starfield's premise is, I can't stop being sceptical of the barren rocky exteriors. It's personal preference, but just saying.

Back