Starting a home network project

yRaz

So I have a few projects I'm starting in the near future and I have to setup some sort of wired network for all the computers. I have a few computers doing various tasks and I'd like to put them all in the same room, on a shelf, with a 16 port router or modem.

I get the general idea but I don't know what network hardware I will require for this. I see there are managed and unmanaged switches, I don't really know the difference. I wanted something that I can basically use as plug and play, but I also want something I can grow into if the need arises in the future.

I will be setting up one of my computers as a game server and another as a NAS and I have 4 running now including the desktop I'm using now. I'm picking up a few Raspberry-Pi's that I'd also like to connect via ethernet. so that's the reason for the 16 port.

anyway, I'd like some recommendations on what types of products I should look at or even what I should by.

Here's and outline of creating a home network for the first time.

The ISP connection coming into the house connects to a MODEM and there are two kinds:
  1. Cable: DOCSIS 3.0
  2. DSL: like https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/DM200.aspx#tab-techspecs
The Modem does one task: alter the ISP signal into an Ethernet signal which our systems can understand.

The Modem connects to the first or only Gateway Router using the router UPLINK slot. Typically this is marked as the only yellow connection. (ISP ==>Modem--- Router).
I like using separate boxes for each, but there are products that put the router inside the modem (modem+router). With separate boxes, you can update your router without the modem settings for your ISP being at risk.

With the modem & router in place, you then connect a pc with a RJ45 cable to any LAN slot on the PC. Without doing anything, right out of the box, our PCs typically get auto configured and get Internet access almost immediately.
ISP==>Modem---Router---PC. Once this is working, you can make connections to your router for as many empty slots are available and those devices should autoconfigure too. When ALL the slots on the Router are filled, THEN you need a switch to allow more connections (don't be concerned about managed vs unmanaged; pick unmanaged to keep your life simple).

You may wish to use WiFi for tablet, smartphone and iOT devices in the home -- PLAN FOR THIS from the beginning, as it needs to be a feature in the ROUTER you choose to buy.

NOTICE: all issues of brand names and configuration settings have been intentionally left TBD.

Back