State of Georgia to consider creating a city named Amazon

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Earlier this month Amazon began looking for a location to build a second headquarters it is calling “HQ2.” The project is estimated to cost $5 billion but would create around 50,000 “high-paying” jobs in the area where it is built. The project would be a boon to whichever community is selected as the location, which has created something of a bidding frenzy to get the company’s attention.

“We want to encourage states and communities to think creatively for viable real estate options, while not negatively affecting our preferred timeline,” said Amazon in a list of preferences that it is looking for in a location.

Just outside Atlanta, the city of Stonecrest, Georgia, has taken the creativity challenge to heart. On Monday, the city council decided to de-annex 345 acres of land if they are chosen for the project site. This exceeds the 175 acres that Amazon requires, but for a good reason. In the motion, which passed with a 4-2 vote, council members will request that the Georgia General Assembly incorporate the section of land into a new city and name it Amazon.

“There are several major U.S. cities that want Amazon, but none has the branding opportunity we are now offering this visionary company,” Stonecrest Mayor Jason Lary told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “How could you not want your 21st-century headquarters to be located in a city named Amazon?”

In the bid, Stonecrest would be providing city services. However, the deal might hinge on whether MARTA, Atlanta's commuter bus and rail service, decides to expand out to Stonecrest. One of the requirements that Amazon requested was access to public transit. Stonecrest is currently just outside of MARTA’s reach.

City officials are getting the final plans together and will be submitting the proposal to Amazon before its deadline of October 19.

Permalink to story.

Access to public transit? There are plenty of medium sized towns that offer this. Amazon should build this place in an area where people truly NEED jobs and the cost of living is relatively low. This way their payroll expenses are smaller, they get workers who can actually appreciate steady employment AND its a public relations win. By most accounts Amazon could really use that last one right now. I'm dreaming, of course..this weirdly redundant facility will end up in a big town where its managers can get drunk in a different place every night of the year.

I've been loving the various stories about this... Amazon has created quite the furor among various municipalities.... Heck, even Toronto, Canada (my home) is apparently submitting a bid - obviously it would be quite shocking if Amazon went outside the US, but hey, why not?

Naming a city seems a bit over the top.... but anyone know a city in Pennsylvania created just to make chocolate? Hershey has been around for about 100 years now despite Milton Hershey dying in 1945...

Personally, I hope they DO NOT come to my area of the midwest. If they help do for my city, like most "tech" companies have done to their cities, I don't want them!
1. Sky high property
2. Sky high cost of living
3. Traffic problems
4. Snotty stuck up liberal morons
STAY AWAY FROM THE MIDWEST AMAZON!!! All that you will find are hillbilly, trailer park pickup driving
rednecks, that drink beer, own GUNS, and fly the Confederate flag! Stay away!!!!

Sounds like Stonecrest is trying to get the MARTA to come to them and using this Amazon bid to do it. Smart.

Talk about selling you ***, **** and balls State of Georgia. Well done!

Back