Stop: 0x000000D1 when inserting CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya,

My grandfather's computer (a Dell Dimension 5150) running Windows XP Home (Dutch version) has been showing some strange behavior lately. Whenever he puts a (possibly damaged) cd in the disk drive his computer BSOD's with the attached message. What I could find on aumha.org/a/stop.htm the 0xD1 stop message indicates a high chance of a faulty driver. As the BSOD only occurs when inserting a cd it seems likely that this is indeed the problem. When the ('bad') cd is in the drive as the computer boots there is no problem, the crash only occurs when the cd is inserted as the user is logged in.
I searched for 'atapi.sys' which is apparently a MS driver, so advice on disabling non-MS drivers doesn't seem appropriate. Is there something I could give a try to fix this problem? I have attached a 'screenshot' of the BSOD (luckily the old man knows how to work a digital camera), and the dumps I could find in "C:/Windows/Minidump/". As far as I know those are all the result of inserting a cd.
Note: When the cd is in the drive already it is possible to read the cd's contents and even install programs from it. (I have tried this with 2 cd's so far.)
Note: I recently reinstalled his pc with a legit version of windows.

Thank you for your time,

Alturin.

PS: I just noticed I'm not allowed to post images or attachments.
So here's the BSOD message:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000003, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF73A07D8)
*** atapi.sys - Address F73A07D8 base at F739A000, DateStamp 41107b4d

Curiously though, there is no reference of "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" which I see other people post about.

0xD1 errors are caused by device drivers trying to access an IRQ Level higher than it should resulting in crashes. atapi.sys has to do with your CD-ROM drive, Try updating your firmware. These drives will become faulty as well so you may need to replace, but first see if you can update drivers/firmware.

* I also suggest that you first go to Dell's website, find your grandfathers model at their website and download the latest updated drivers for his system. See if that brings stability. If not, try the above.

Drivers?

Heya,

At dell all I could find was firmware for the DVD drives.
As far as I know there are no specific drivers for those installed.
(This also makes sense since the crash occurs in atapi.sys)
I downloaded and installed the new firmware, but as said could not find drivers.
Am I overlooking these drivers or is it likely/possible that there are none?

Thanks for the suggestion :),

Alturin.

PS: I've asked him to try again (with a different cd even), but it still BSOD's.

Do you have a CD-ROM drive that you could switch out to see if indeed it is the particular drivwe in question? Also, it could be a bad cable.

Ah, shouldof thought of that myself.
His computer has a secondary drive, I'll ask him to give it a try on that one, see if the problem exists there too. I'll post back with any findings.

Confirmed

I asked him to try putting the cd in the bottom reader and everything worked fine. As soon as he took it out and put it in the top one it crashed. So I guess that confirms that the problem is limited to that specific drive. Should I post some minidumps?

I have had CD drives go as you are describing. If you get 5 years out them you are doing good! I think I'd try another drive. You can get them cheap. Just make sure you configure Master-Slave correctly. Does he need two drives?

I guess, not really, no.
I thought it was a software/driver problem since it happened only after I reinstalled, but I think that before I had he never used his cd-drive anyway (and only did so now because the reinstall had deleted some programs).
If your guess is that it's probably a hardware problem I think I'll just leave the drive in but disable it or such.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers

By disabled you need to
Pull out the data cable and power cable in the drive
The drive itself can just sit in there, if you do not have an old drive cover

Also the other drive can then be set for Cable Select

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back