Strange minor issues with a couple programs

snacks

My computer is in trouble, and I really don't know why. Games run the same as normal, but there are random issues outside of games. Steam, for example, can't open links people paste into it, it doesn't open the default browser or a new tab if the browser is already open. AIM (don't ask why, I guess it's just a tradition) can't even install, every version from the latest to 2 year old versions gets an error and quits the install before it starts. The Services in control can only open the standard list, the extended list is blank. I haven't a clue what's causing these. I can try a defrag, but I'm not hopeful.

defrag is NOT THE SOLUTION!

What has changed in the last week or so? What was installed or updated?

It would be helpful to know the version of Windows installed, the edition and the SP level.

XP Home SP3
I only got here a couple days ago and already something was wrong. A trojan was somehow on the computer, which has never happened in the 3 years I've had this computer. I got rid of it, the next day scanned again and found 2 more. I installed a new power supply, and that's the only hardware change.
Now when the computer goes to sleep and wakes up, it might be incredibly slow. The mouse will freeze, nothing can load, and I have to hard reset to get anything to work. Now it's getting worse. It inexplicably windowed a program and went into this slow, impossible to use mode. I'm scanning for viruses yet again, but whether it finds them or not I still have a problem.

Back