hisam

Dear experts,
My pc details are :
Proc - P4 3 Ghz
RAM - 1.5 GB
HDD - 80 GB
Win XP pro SP3
and logs on to domain..
Problem : When i switch on my pc, it boots normally and comes to the login screen..if i put my login credentials within a minute or so everything work fine..till i shutdown or restart again.
If i fail to put login details in given time or leave the screen as it is without login..the computer restarts..and will keep on happening till i succeed to login..

Hit and Try : Checked event viewer but no errors, checked msconfig but no suspect entries found,...ran registry repair..,ran anti virus scan...tried running in safe mode but same thing happens...cleaned the hardware for dust etc...

Temporary solution : if the user hibernates and switch the machine on next day..it works normally..

Kindly advice if any of u had such issue

This is an issue I have never seen before or could I find anything like this in a search. Nearest thing was crashing after login not before.

Usually when it is something peculiar it might be down to Malware. But first try this: Switch off all the power saving modes so nothing will hybernate, sleep or go to the screen saver, check in Advanced Settings that the hard drive never sleeps then see if the problem persists.

If it does continue:

Run this free scan and see what it comes up with. I note that you have done a scan, but was it with this product, it is one of the best.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If you have already used malwarebytes then try this. Click on Start, then Run and type sfc /scannow (include the gap) and hit enter.

This will check the file system, you will be prompted for the XP disc, it must be at the same service pack level and same version as the one installed.

If this gets you nowhere then boot the PC with the XP disc in the CD drive having set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios. Run through the various screens as if you were doing a full install, you will come to a screen that has Repair Install on it, select that and it will reinstall Windows without deleting any of your files.

Hi,
Things i've tried after last post : SFC, malwarebytes,Registry repair,Power mode -always on..

Now after running all the scans from different products..i have a feeling that this problem is something related to windows file system,dll (but sfc scan has not helped)

Any advice guys ....

OK, I would now try a Repair install. Boot the PC from the Windows XP disc, run through the screens as if you were doing a clean install until you get to a screen where you have the option to run a Repair Install, select it and let windows reinstall. This will preserve all your existing data. I would recommend you back up all your important data before doing this just to be on the safe side.

Worse is that the system's OS is OEM....Came with system itself..
anything else instead of repair..
can i try replacing the system file or dll related to login...etc...

Just one thing that might work, if you only have one user account, boot into safe mode and go to User Accounts in Control Panel and delete your password, leaving it blank. Then reboot and it will go straight into your account without stopping.

You can still run a Repair Install from an XP disc even if the installed OS is OEM. You just need the same version of XP at the same Service Pack level.

Back