Streaming music accounted for 80 percent of industry revenues in the first half of 2019

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Recorded music in the US generated $5.4 billion in revenue in the first half of 2019 according to a recent report from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). That’s an increase of 18 percent compared to the same period a year earlier and is a direct result of more people signing up for streaming music services.

Speaking of, revenue from streaming music as a whole – which includes revenue from paid streaming services like Apple Music and Tidal, online radio providers like Pandora and SiriusXM and ad-supported, on-demand offerings from Spotify and YouTube – grew 26 percent to $4.3 billion in the half.

Collectively, streaming music accounted for 80 percent of industry revenues in 1H 2019. Paid subscriptions exceeded 60 million for the first time, we're told.

Revenue gains from streaming were partially offset by continued declines in digital downloads. In 1H 2019, revenues from this method of acquisition dipped 18 percent to just $462 million. The RIAA said individual track sales were down 16 percent while digital album sales fell 23 percent year-over-year.

Earnings from vinyl album sales grew 13 percent in the half to $224 million – impressive for the medium and era but still only accounting for four percent of total revenues in 1H 2019. Total net revenues from physical products sold reached $485 million, a modest increase of five percent compared to the previous year.

Masthead credit: Studio mixing desk by Brian A Jackson

Permalink to story.

As long as Frostwire exists, I'm not paying for Netflix or buying any music I can't get through Sirius XM.

Last download I had was "Sticks and Stones"

As long as Frostwire exists, I'm not paying for Netflix or buying any music I can't get through Sirius XM.

Spotify is amazing, I used to be like yourself, downloading music. Honestly, Spotify is just too great. Sometimes my time > money. So, in Spotifys case, it has freed up A LOT of time and improved my music listening experience.

Netflix? I get it. I have it, but still use Popcorntime/21:9 torrents.

I love spotify. The "your daily playlist" after a while, gets pretty darn good. And, I've discovered some really new stuff that they NEVER play on FM radio, which is more interested in commercials, talking and playing the same 10 songs over and over and over again.

CINEMA app is great for movies and shows. They literally have everything.

FROSTWIRE ahhhh the old days. Is that stuff still loaded with viruses and $hit? I use to look at the download file length to see if it's safe & legit.

Meh, as another poster mentioned time is more important than money for me from my late 20s on. In my early 20s I'd spend quite a bit of time downloading and searching for high quality movies....now I'm guaranteed that by netflix & spotify for a very reasonable monthly subscription (spotify's family account is only $14.99/mth! Thats $4/mth per person).

I had deezer for some time now. But as I got all the HiFi music, now it is time to say good by to the new friend and go back to my new collection of flacs and high bit rate mp3s

Interesting to note the mention of vinyl sales at $224 million. With the pricing level of reissue vinyl being so high for shoddy quality it has provoked new interest in secondhand original pressings. Shame it has affected the prices there upwards to extreme levels.

Back