Super Mario Bros. Wonder is already playable on PC thanks to Switch emulation

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In a nutshell: Super Mario Bros. Wonder, the highly-anticipated return to side-scrolling platform action for Nintendo's iconic video game series, is set to release on October 20, 2023. However, PC gamers can already get a taste of the new Mario title through Switch emulation.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is set to be released by the end of the week as a Switch exclusive, in line with Nintendo's first-party production tradition. However, the ROM of Super Mario Bros. Wonder was leaked on the internet last week, and it appears that Switch emulators are capable of running the game's code with minimal issues.

Recently, several Switch games have leaked ahead of their official releases, including popular titles like Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, which have become playable on PC before their official launches. Other high-profile Switch releases, like Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta 3, Monster Hunter Rise, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, and Pikmin 4, were also quickly made playable on Switch emulators upon their release.

Switch emulators have made significant progress, with projects like Ryujinx and yuzu offering a solid gaming experience on the three major PC platforms (Windows, Linux, macOS). Despite some compatibility issues, these emulators often enhance the original gaming experience through features such as resolution and texture upscaling, FPS improvements, and other advanced options.

Now that Super Mario Bros. Wonder has been leaked in ROM form, online spoilers and video recordings are widespread. The latest Super Mario title appears to be compatible with Ryujinx, an "experimental" open-source Switch emulator that aims to provide "excellent accuracy and performance" through a user-friendly interface.

The emulator is capable of running Super Mario Bros. Wonder at 4K resolution and 60 frames per second, although we couldn't find information about the PC hardware requirements needed to achieve this level of performance. Given that the game is a 2D side-scrolling platform with 3D sprites, it shouldn't be too challenging to enjoy it on a PC screen.

Gamers will, of course, need to obtain a copy of the game's ROM, but emulation enthusiasts would likely already know how to access it. The end result should be rewarding, as early reviews of Super Mario Bros. Wonder have generally been positive.

Permalink to story.

Obtaining a copy of the ROM, and not having a legal copy, is, well, illegal.

Immoral in most case use - illegal in many countries , but not all - unenforceable in many , and never enforced in many

Also mostly a civil matter - police don't give a F - so the crime is distribution - again only enforce if persistent and widespread - Police again mostly don't give a F - probably up to right holders to gather evidence , court orders

Same happens to many Companies where fraud - police prefer company to do legwork for evidence etc - suppose understandable -as would be snowed under and malicious cases brought - Same in my country with regards to tax - calling tax depart and just saying my neighbour does not pay his tax - nothing happens - must give very explicit details

With tax and benefit fraud many calls are from ex partners , jilted and the spurned - human nature eh

also I found on many cases to the detriment of trying to expand my waist line - police are not interested when I call them monthly to report my flatmate stealing my chocolate biscuits ( actual story was guest was stealing and hoarding a huge amount of food in his room at work - called police - they weren't interested - stupid person - people are kind and feed people at my work )

Last edited:
Immoral in most case use - illegal in many countries , but not all - unenforceable in many , and never enforced in many

Also mostly a civil matter - police don't give a F - so the crime is distribution - again only enforce if persistent and widespread - Police again mostly don't give a F - probably up to right holders to gather evidence , court orders

Same happens to many Companies where fraud - police prefer company to do legwork for evidence etc - suppose understandable -as would be snowed under and malicious cases brought - Same in my country with regards to tax - calling tax depart and just saying my neighbour does not pay his tax - nothing happens - must give very explicit details

With tax and benefit fraud many calls are from ex partners , jilted and the spurned - human nature eh
If you emulate the game without purchasing the game, it is theft plain and simple. We live in a society that overlooks looting and theft these days. Of course law enforcement will do nothing, nor do they have time. Nor would it even make sense when you can knock over a Rite Aid with no consequences. But, some of us still have ethics.

If you emulate the game without purchasing the game, it is theft plain and simple. We live in a society that overlooks looting and theft these days. Of course law enforcement will do nothing, nor do they have time. Nor would it even make sense when you can knock over a Rite Aid with no consequences. But, some of us still have ethics.
I'm not disagreeing - I think abandonware , historic fan stuff is fine
I think pirates can be made consumers as get older and richer

Plus the funny thing about great Switch games - if you get it early at discount ( ie some sellers give real good launch price ) - buy it - play it quickly - you can sell it for near discount price ( as discount prices finished ) - which is legal

I'm not disagreeing - I think abandonware , historic fan stuff is fine
I think pirates can be made consumers as get older and richer

Abandonware? How bout when Nintendo delists their own games for no reason like they did with Mario 64 on Switch? Piss on that company. Everyone should emulate their games.

Software piracy is not theft, it is software piracy.

Back