Sure it's been asked a hundred times. AM2 Mobo AM3 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameJunkie72792

Well, I just got done ordering parts for a customers computer.

The order is processed and on the way to my house, but I'm afraid I've made a mistake.

I have a handful of Biostar K8M800 Micro AM2 boards lying around I use for basic internet surfing, "old lady" builds I like to call them. (I like to buy in bulk when there $15 brand new :p)

Well the Sempron I usually pair them with is nowhere to be found on Tiger, so i Ordered what I thought would work.

I mistakenly ordered a AM3 Sempron.

Please tell me I won't have to send this thing back, I'm really not wanting to deal with the hassle, I know the pins are the same, but the board clearly supports AM2, not even AM2+.

EDIT*** Well TigerDirect customer service is amazing, 24/7 for one, I called them up mind you at 2 A.M. Got straight through to a actual human being, and had my order canceled within 2 minutes.

But I'm still curious to know the answer to my question just for future reference.

Hi Junkie,
an AM2+ will accept AM2,AM2+, AM3 cpu's
an AM3 will not accept AM2+ cpu's ****the reason being that the AM3 boards support DDR3*****
an AM2 will only accept AM2 cpu's
as always there are exceptions, always check the CPU support list to make sure a bios update is available for the Cpu you want.
.....I shouldn't try to do that in the wee smalls.

Well I knew that the AM3 has 2 less pins than AM2 chips.

My bios update for my personal motherboard added a pretty big list of processors to my support list.

I was afraid of such though, I doubt this little board could handle anything more than AM2, the last bios update is form 2008.

thanks for the explanation, im glad AMD is giving customers more options with keeping the basic pin config...

One reason ive always stuck with them...

Luckily Tigerdirect customer support is superb, I've never had any negative experiences with them. I was able to cancel the order within 10 minutes of placing it. i wont order parts at 2am anymore though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back