Synaptics unveils WiFi 6E wireless docking system that can handle dual 4K 60Hz monitors

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Synaptics recently unveiled a new wireless docking system that uses WiFi 6E to reach higher levels of bandwidth than ever. Called Gemini, it seems to mainly target today’s emerging hybrid work environment—people who need to quickly dock a laptop to multiple external monitors in a variety of settings.

First unveiled at CES 2022, Synaptics says Gemini can wirelessly dock a device with up to two 4K 60Hz monitors with a level of latency indistinguishable from wired connections. It uses WiFi 6E combined with Bluetooth, DisplayLink, USB, and IoT technologies.

As a laptop approaches the monitors, the Gemini's Wireless Dock Connection Manager securely connects them so that it's already docked as the user sits down. When moving away after a session, the device securely disconnects the user. The Wireless Dock Connection Manager seamlessly manages the Bluetooth and WiFi, the latter of which works over a BCM43752 WiFi 6/6E radio.

Gemini can also dynamically adjust video compression based on the available bandwidth using the DL-1950 video interface IC. Synaptics’s own Media Agnostic USB (MA-USB) can also help any device connected to Gemini communicate wirelessly. A VS641 network processor SoC manages the MA-USB and the WiFi radio communications.

Something like this might be helpful for someone who has to bring the same work notebook to an office, home office, or hotel. It could also come in handy with tablets, VR headsets, and gaming.

Permalink to story.

It's astounding to me how much money, expense, and finite resources have gone into the pursuit of making things wireless, when hard lines are still generally more reliable, more secure, more efficient, and more affordable.

Anyone chasing the wireless dragon doesn't really have a foot to stand on with regards to what they consider a waste of resources.

It's astounding to me how much money, expense, and finite resources have gone into the pursuit of making things wireless, when hard lines are still generally more reliable, more secure, more efficient, and more affordable.

Anyone chasing the wireless dragon doesn't really have a foot to stand on with regards to what they consider a waste of resources.
The same could be said about integrated vs dedicated graphics cards... more reliable, more secure, more efficient, and more affordable, but here we are, people who still want to use dedicated graphics cards.

The same could be said about integrated vs dedicated graphics cards... more reliable, more secure, more efficient, and more affordable, but here we are, people who still want to use dedicated graphics cards.
That's apples and oranges. The GPU's design is fundamentally different from a CPU that allows it to do different kinds of compute more efficiently than a CPU can, and vice versa. Both designs have tradeoffs and benefits.

Wireless just gives the illusion of increased mobility but ultimately all such devices are limited by hazardous LiOn batteries or tethered to mains power anyway, all because people find plugging things in to wires unsightly or confusing.

That's apples and oranges. The GPU's design is fundamentally different from a CPU that allows it to do different kinds of compute more efficiently than a CPU can, and vice versa. Both designs have tradeoffs and benefits.

Wireless just gives the illusion of increased mobility but ultimately all such devices are limited by hazardous LiOn batteries or tethered to mains power anyway, all because people find plugging things in to wires unsightly or confusing.
The same can be said about integrated vs dedicated GPU graphics: Both designs have tradeoffs and benefits.

So you are fundamentally against WiFi and LiOn batteries. Essentially anything that has a battery. I don't even know how to respond to that.

The same can be said about integrated vs dedicated GPU graphics: Both designs have tradeoffs and benefits.

So you are fundamentally against WiFi and LiOn batteries. Essentially anything that has a battery. I don't even know how to respond to that.
Yes, I am. Wifi is fundamentally less secure than a hardline and also laggier. Anyone that works from home knows this first hand; in fact my first WFH job explicitly required me to use a hardline for security as well as latency issues. One of the first upgrades I did to my house was to put ethernet jacks in each room and to this day I count that as best money spent.

As for LiOn batteries, leaving aside the environmental impact and depletion of rare earths, they are incredibly hazardous to ship:

Considering how quickly their capacity reduces (which, if you're not constantly babysitting and janitoring their charge/discharge, is considerable) I'm not particularly impressed. If anything they seem to be an integral spoke of Apple's larger strategy for forcing obsolescence.

Back