System Won't defrag due to file inconsistencies!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burtonio

When i try to defrag the C: on my computer a message comes up saying:

Defragmentation of HP Pavillion C: has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the filesystem. Please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on hp pavilion c: to repair these inconsistencies, then run disk defrag again.

I tried to run SCANDISK from "run", and nothing happens. When i try to do the same with CHKDSK, it appears to be doing something, saying "F parameter not specified" "Verifying files stage 1 of 3".
This stage gets to 100%, then it jus closes! So i'm pretty sure somethings wrong.. although my computer hasn't crashed so far this morning :giddy:

I bought "Registry Mechanic" programme lastnight to try an solve some of the problems i've been getting on my computer.. cuz it's completely screwed and it got rid of about 100 things wrong on my comp. I thought while i was at it, and before going back to Service Pack 2,(cuz i'd been on sp2 but i thought the comp crashed more on that then on SP1) i'd run virus scans, spy sweep and defrag first but defrag is the only thing that wont work cuz of those file inconsistencies!

Does anyone know what kind of inconsistencies these could be and how to solve it? :suspiciou

I would run a virus scan and something to remove adaware before anything else. I have had a virus screw with my registry before.

did you run chkdsk from boot up?
thats the best way as it needs to read all the files ,boot drive only, and the OS is using some of these files
get a hard disk utility progam to allow chkdsk to run on boot up,see what happens
whtch out for some reg editors ,you have to know what you are doing and what you are deleting or fixing
I use Registry Mechanic ,the least buggy,that I have found
look up how to run on boot from command prompt
after that you should be able to defrag drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back