T-Mobile crowned fastest U.S. 4G network according to OpenSignal, narrowly edging out Verizon

Shawn Knight

Staff member

T-Mobile, the nation's third largest wireless provider based on subscriber count, offers the fastest 4G LTE network according to the latest State of Mobile Networks report from crowdsourced mobile data company OpenSignal.

Based on data collected from more than 180,000 mobile phone users in the US from October 1 through December 31 of last year, OpenSignal found that T-Mobile came out ahead in three key categories: 3G latency, 3G download speed and 4G download speed.

Digging into the details, OpenSignal notes that T-Mobile's 12.26 Mbps LTE average just barely beat out Verizon's average of 11.98 Mbps. AT&T and Sprint, the company said, didn't even come close to that at 7.93 Mbps and 6.56 Mbps, respectively.

For those still stuck with 3G coverage, T-Mobile looks to be the best bet with an average 3G download speed of 3.48 Mbps followed by AT&T at 2.22 Mbps. Verizon and Sprint bring up the rear at 0.66 Mbps and 0.64 Mbps, respectively.

In terms of reliability and network coverage, Verizon takes the crown with an LTE time-coverage metric of 86.73 percent. That means the carrier's 4G customers were able to see an LTE signal 86.73 percent of the time in OpenSignal's tests. AT&T placed second in this test with an LTE time-coverage metric of 82.36 percent followed by T-Mobile at 81.23 percent. Sprint finished in a distant fourth at 70.05 percent.

Overall, AT&T didn't place first in a single category while Sprint did so in just one category – 4G latency – while Verizon did so in two categories, 4G coverage and 4G download speed (both T-Mobile and Verizon were awarded in the 4G download speed category as OpenSignal ruled it a "statistical tie but technically, T-Mobile was faster.)

Permalink to story.

Now if only T-Mobile covered more than 15 cities and further out than 150 miles away from the cities. I can't say I love Verizon's pricing but there QOS in my town is pretty amazing, for area with 50,000 people have a phone that can speedtest at 24mbps at 5pm is pretty impressive imo.

Now if only T-Mobile covered more than 15 cities and further out than 150 miles away from the cities. I can't say I love Verizon's pricing but there QOS in my town is pretty amazing, for area with 50,000 people have a phone that can speedtest at 24mbps at 5pm is pretty impressive imo.

Impressive it would be if Verizon's data prices didn't make their internet speed nearly obsolete. They can probably afford to double or triple their internet speed in the near future easily if they keep their prices at this rate and limits.

I have t-mobile and there service is great in Miami. I also download at times with LTE at 45mbps which is behind crazy.

Impressive it would be if Verizon's data prices didn't make their internet speed nearly obsolete. They can probably afford to double or triple their internet speed in the near future easily if they keep their prices at this rate and limits.
there new plans are better imo and if you out right buy your own phone the prices are more affordable for most. Verizon seems setup to handle family's better than individuals where as T-mobile is going after the single line millennials. am spoiled and don't pay line access and get half off my data so for me Verizon is insanely cheap :D

I have TMo and data speed is fast but only if you have good cell signal/coverage. The weakest feature of TMo is the ability to have their signals penetrate buildings. I have no signal at work while Verizon, ATT and Sprint has. The only thing that saves TMo is wi-fi calling and even then it's not consistent.

Back