T-Mobile 's next Un-carrier move could be free data for streaming video

Shawn Knight

Staff member

T-Mobile is set to host its 10th Un-carrier event on November 10 in Los Angeles. While it’s hard enough to believe that the disruptive wireless provider has already hosted nine such events, rumors regarding the content of the upcoming event may be just as difficult for some – namely AT&T, Sprint and Verizon – to comprehend.

According to serial leaker Evan Blass, T-Mobile’s next Un-carrier initiative will offer customers free data for video streaming services. Blass revealed as much on Twitter which apparently caught the eye of T-Mobile CEO John Legere who mentioned that the initiative’s announcement has already prompted the “leaks” and “guesses” to start flying.

Blass replied to Legere directly, asking if the service was named BingeOn and if it would be compatible with Netflix, HBO, Hulu and Sling TV. I don’t expect Legere to fuel the fire but it seems as though the well-connected Blass has let the cat out of the bag nearly two weeks early.

If true, the move would be similar to Music Freedom, an initiative in which streaming from popular music services don’t count against subscribers’ data allowances. Being able to advertise free video streaming would be huge and would almost certainly prompt the competition to do the same.

For what it’s worth, the tag line on T-Mobile’s Un-carrier announcement reads “we never hit pause” which certainly suggests the next move is video-related.

Permalink to story.

Another step closer to the elimination of indefensible data caps. Its time North America caught up with the rest of the free world.

Another step closer to the elimination of indefensible data caps. Its time North America caught up with the rest of the free world.
Yeah, the problem....with all the great freebies T-Mobile is offering, it's hardly making a dent to Verizon. It's going to do so, until T-Mobile improves their network to the level of Verizon. As of right now, it's still a crappy network that no person could can trust the safety of their family to T-Mobile. What if a family member is in trouble (I.e. auto accident, car disabled) in the middle of nowhere? That's why I can't go to T-Mobile.

Mobile data is a real problem for carriers. In new York City network congestion due to data usage is the number one reason for dropped calls. Not all areas should require a data cap, but densely populated areas do.

As of right now, it's still a crappy network that no person could can trust the safety of their family to T-Mobile. What if a family member is in trouble (I.e. auto accident, car disabled) in the middle of nowhere? That's why I can't go to T-Mobile.

Oooh scare tactics! I guess they always will work; but than again, I think people know that when you dial 911, your phone connects through ANY network....but lets not talk about that...shhhhh be wevy wevy quiet.

So you're upset because you can't get unlimited wireless internet for a nice low price anywhere in America?

If you're upset we don't have unlimited data, don't blame the companies, blame the extreme users who ran torrent sites.
There were users who were using hundreds of times more data than the average. There were thousands of average users using 400MB /month for every 1 heavy user using 200GB and costing them a ton of money. So they gave everyone 2GB and called it a day. There's only 1 person who cared, the guy who was abusing it.
If you can't understand that decision there's not much else I can do to explain it.

Back