T-Mobile to reveal Uncarrier 3.0 strategy on October 9

Shawn Knight

Staff member

t-mobile uncarrier wireless industry uncarrier 3.0

The next phase in T-Mobile’s uncarrier strategy – an ongoing plan to shake up the wireless industry – is set to debut at a special media event in New York’s Bryant Park on October 9. To generate additional publicity for the event, T-Mobile has invited mainstream pop star Shakira to perform and is giving away thousands of free tickets to its customers.

T-Mobile hasn’t provided any specifics about what uncarrier 3.0 might consist of. Press invitations to the event feature a picture of Shakira and the promise that it will be a major industry announcement. The company also teased a special opening act – your guess is as good as mine on who it might be.

John Legere was appointed T-Mobile CEO in September 2012 and has already shaken up an industry that many believe was ripe for the picking. The first phase of T-Mobile’s uncarrier strategy, doing away with long-term contracts and phone subsidies, launched back in March. The wireless provider returned in July with a follow-up announcement: T-Mobile Jump.

This program allows customers to trade in their handset for a new one up to twice a year. It quickly prompted all of the other major carriers to launch similar programs despite the fact that none of them are a solid deal once you do the math.

If this announcement is anything like the first two phases, the wireless carrier likely won’t disappoint. We’ll keep a close eye on Wednesday’s event and provide details on the latest strategy as soon as they are available.

Permalink to story.

My dream? T-Mo is expanding nationwide, putting up towers everywhere. That's really all their missing at this point.

How do you end one paragraph pointing out how crappy these new deals are, and start the next stating they're sure not to disappoint with the next announcement?

The writer was pointing out that all the other carriers do not have a good deal when you do the math.

How do you end one paragraph pointing out how crappy these new deals are, and start the next stating they're sure not to disappoint with the next announcement?
Because he was saying that the Jump program (and the similar ones from AT&T and Verizon) are not a good deal. And the point isn't that every announcement is a good deal, the point is that T-Mobile has been shaking things up and giving customers more choices. You don't have to have a long-term contract with T-Mobile. If you want to pay more to upgrade your devices more often, you're welcome to. You don't have to. Now, the same is true at AT&T and Verizon, but only because T-Mobile offered it first.

I'm an AT&T and Verizon customer and I probably won't be going to T-Mobile anytime soon, but that's mainly because of their coverage. I still applaud what they're trying to do. Giving customers more choices is not a bad thing.

Back