T2692 eMachine won't start/boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a 2 year old T2692 eMachine Desktop pc that will not start/boot up. After starting it up and setting up an IM away message, the monitor screen went black and the system turned off. It was only running for a few minutes. When I tried restarting it, the fan will start, but only stay running for a few seconds and then shuts down. The monitor will try to turn on, but will go off after a couple of seconds. The light around the switch in the front of the system stays on, but I do not hear the hard disk. I tried unplugging and replugging, but it does not help. Could it be the power supply or mother board?? Any cheap way out of this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Anybody have this same problem with an emachine???

Joubster...

That series has had alot of faulty power supplies. Ive repaired 2 and both time the motherboard was also damaged.

$150 for the board and about $50 for the PS from eMachines. Get a stripped down Dell and tranfer over your hard drive and CD drives. You can also probably re-use the RAM from the eMachine.

That's about what I estimated the Mobo & PS costing...The E-machine has a Maxtor 80GB ATA/133 HDD in it. I was hoping I could install it, the 512DDR RAM (2 - 256MB 32x64 184-pin DIMM PC2700) and my 3.5" drive into a newer PC. I'm thinking maybe another E-machine (I'm a sucker) just to make the compatibility easier?? Do you think I would have any compatibility issues with a different system? I heard the E-machines can be tricky...

Thx,

Joubster

Are you kiddin us/yourself !
2 years and the box is toast and finding compatible hardware is a crap shoot at best ,there is a reason they are called 'E'conomy machines.
At least a Dell will give/sell you 3 year warranty.
Do yourself and your pocket book a favour.If you are not into building your own machine, then at least get the best bang for your buck .You are a lot further ahead to go for service and warranty, even if you spend a few extra dollars.Do the math.I got 5 years out of my first Dell ( I have been building ever since)
Keep in mind Dell's are not a whole lot better at being easily able to update , but you will have a better chance to be able to do it.;

Hmmm?

Didn't e-machine get bought out by gatway?
Seems there's a trend running thru gateway machines just like this e-macrap
psu trouble. I've just done a two machine MoBo/psu replacment on two
gateways. Psu's took out the MoBo's.
Beware the proprietary.

This seems to be happening to a lot of people just recently. I bought a T2692 the day after Thanksgiving in 2003. My father-in-law was with me and also bought one. Mine cr@pped a couple weeks ago, and his bombed exactly 2 days later! My wife joked that it's an eMachines and probably has a self-destruct timer.

With such a cluster of what seems to be the same problem, is there any chance they'll do anything to rectify this? I would have considered another eMachines some day as its actually been a very good computer to this point, but not any more.

I haven't had mine checked out yet as I have a laptop I've been hauling back & forth to/from work. My father-in-law confimred his was the power supply and motherboard, though.

first buy a power suply and see if the board starts and runs properly and dont feed into others bashing of the product were there case maybe true it doesnt mean it applies to your product. and dont ever buy a dell when you can build better for mutch cheaper. i just built a athlon 2800+ system
with a gig of kingston pc3200 and a ecs 741gx-m motherboard all for 296 dollars retail. i overclocked it and i am runnin neck 'n' neck with the intel pentium 4 3.8 on sisoft sandra benchmarks while the 741gx-m motherboard is very cheap it allows you to run 400 mhz ram at over 400 mhz with high bus speeds encreasing banwith and overal performance my pc whoops my buddys
2000 dollar dell he hates it...hehehe

Dezio - Wow, that's the same exact day I bought my machine - what a deal $199.00. Now I know why....they probably got rid of their bad machines;-) Maybe I will invest the $50.00 into a PS, to see if I can get out of this cheap, but it sounds like a lot of folks had their mobo's go at the same time...The "Geek Squad" over at Best Buy will analyze the thing for $59.00, but I can't see paying them that much just to plug in a known good PSU, just to tell me I have to buy one. Then again, maybe they'll find out something else is wrong and end my mystery...

thanks for the replies...

I ended up trying a new PS only to find out it must be a blown mobo or bad PS & mobo combo. Looks like I'm off to buy a better system and salvage my HDD/RAM& drives...I was told E-Machines have a life expectancy of only 1 1/2 to 2 yrs...that's why they're sooo cheap.

eMachines are pretty good. Its just that the T series had power supplies that tended to blow capacitors and damage the motherboard. You can salvage all the other parts in the eMachine since they arent proprietary.

T2692 Motherboard Out of Stock

Same thing here - paid $199 for the T2692 after Thanksgiving in 2003 and it stopped working a few weeks ago. I first replaced the PSU but still nogo. Then I called e-machines only to find out that the Motherboard is out of stock for at least a month. I was turned onto the ASUS P4BGV-MX MB as a replacement by kellyrm116 at http://www.emachineupgraders.info/dir1/motherboards/socket478/imperial_end_users.shtml .

However, the best price I could find was $80 at Amazon.com.

I received the ASUS board and plugged everything in and the board seems to be a perfect replacement.

Dezio said:
This seems to be happening to a lot of people just recently. I bought a T2692 the day after Thanksgiving in 2003. My father-in-law was with me and also bought one. Mine cr@pped a couple weeks ago, and his bombed exactly 2 days later! My wife joked that it's an eMachines and probably has a self-destruct timer.

With such a cluster of what seems to be the same problem, is there any chance they'll do anything to rectify this? I would have considered another eMachines some day as its actually been a very good computer to this point, but not any more.

I haven't had mine checked out yet as I have a laptop I've been hauling back & forth to/from work. My father-in-law confimred his was the power supply and motherboard, though.
Here's something new. I brought home a "SimplyMEPIS" cd to try to recover my data. After some goofing with it and realizing I need a 2nd tray to burn cds, I thought I'd start the computer in safe mode. It worked with a different keyboard and mouse, neither of which is usb. I keep getting a "usb device not recognized" popup even though none are connected. I was able to get one batch of files burned, and as I type the computer appears to have crashed again. The power problem still exists, and the usb problem and my new crash tells me, again, that its likely the posu & mobo. Sound right?

eMachine T2692... want to replace motherboard

Same problem, won't start, bought November 2003. I used eMachines on-line tech support, which was ok, but came to the conclusion it was motherboard. Wish I had read the other posts before buying a new power supply.
Since I have added a bunch of stuff, +120MB HDD, +DVD burner, increased ram, +graphics card, +firewire card, I would like to replace the motherboard. Suggestions on a replacement mobo that is good, will fit the chassis, and can take my cpu chip and memory?

Most eMachines only have 250w power supplies so all the extras you've added may have caused the PS to fail. You need at least 350w.

T2700

My E-machine started turning off for no reason also. I have replaced the MB with a refurbished Asus and it worked fine, then when i turned off and turned back on, it failed to reconize the keyboard. Tried another keyboard, no luck. Replaced that MB with another Asus and worked fine till again turned off and then on, now the processor fan continues to run (soon as I plug the power in, it starts to run, without turning on in the front) Have now replaced the PS and still have fan issues. Getting ready to retry the first MB (keyboard issues)

Could I have damaged two additional MB's with a faulty PS?

Thanks

T2692 Fixed

I had the same problem and had no experience in this before this happened. My Emachine T2692 would do nothing except you could here a clicking when you powered it on. I first thought it was the power supply, so I bought a new power supply from 911forpcs for about $40. This power supply had 400 W instead of the 250 W and it fit in my E-macine perfectly. Tried it. but no success. After researching and reading here found that it was probably the motherboard. Every motherboard that said it was compatible was $150, so I ordered a new Dell, because I needed a computer for my work. After a while, I decided to go back to fix the emachine. I ordered an EPOX EP-P4MKI-P motherboard from Tigerdirect for $43, $52 w/shipping. Put it in my emachine, carefully hooked everything up and tried starting it, booting from the hard drive. I went into CMOS before boot up and set the time, and checked the settings to see if anything needed to be changed. I don't think I actually changed anything, then let it boot up. The Windows XP screen would display for a second, then bluescreen for a millisecond, then nothing. I searched for my restore disk from the emachine, but couldn't find it and I was about to go buy a Windows XP disk when I decided to use the restore disk that had come from my Dell. I changed the CMOS to boot from the CD. When it booted, it asked did I want to install Windows? I said Yes. On the next screen, it asked if I wanted to repair a previously installed version of Windows. I said "Yes", then it started deleting DLLs and other files, then it started adding DLLs and files, then I think I had to restart it and it began installing Windows. This took about 30 minutes. After this, it told me I needed to activate this copy of windows. I used the direct from modem method. At first it had my Dell product code on it, but I changed this to the Windows product code on the emacine's computer case. It activated successfully and works like a charm now with all of my original files and programs intact.

emachines t2692 p/s & motherboard problem

Seems like i have the same problem as everyone else. replaced the p/s, but still have the same problem, and assume tht the motherboard is damaged. I looked for the ASUS P4BVG-MX, but can't seem to find one anywhere.

Question is, does anyone know where I might buy the ASUS board, or can anyone point me in the right direction to find a replacement MB for the t2692? I really liked the emachines, and have info on the hard drive that I would like to retreive.

I too bought this machine the day after thanksgiving, 2003. My problem occurred just last week. I have had absolutely no problems with the machine until that time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ernie Pugh
e_pugh@bellsouth.net

Hello there accursed brethren!

Same problem here with two E-Machines T2692 I bought after thanksgiving 2003. They both died the same painful death a few days apart.

Junkie crappy Power Supplies killed mobos in both PCs. I addition to that one PC got the mouse, keyboard and Celeron shot :(

I liked the cases, and because RAM and drives were still ok in both boxes, I did replace the two PS units with 350W (got them free after rebate from CompUSA a while ago). They are standard size, so you don't have to order any special custom rip-offs from E-Machines.

Any micro or mini sized motherboard with socket 478 will work fine. Those I found at Pricewatch.com for $25 each shgipped :) Some have video on board and some don't - you need to watch it. If you are not a high-powered gamer you'll probably stick with the basic on-board video, about the same type as was originally.

Problem is the operating system, because when you change the mobo it may not let you use the supplied restoration discs on non-EMachine mobo. You're on your own with that problem. There are copies with downloadable *corporate* ver. floating around the net. Or check out e-bay for a cheaper copy or sneaky friends for a free copy ;)

It can be either v. cheap or too costly a repair. Do your own math and make your own decision keeping in mind that spanking new computers become cheaper by the hour.

Buy an HP, they last 4ever, still have mine, that i purchased in 1998

Buy a new computer, you'll save yourself time and money

Emachines are notorious pieces of junk. Save yourself time and money and get another computer. Perhaps you can salvage some parts like a hard drive etc...

I have had the restore disks work on a non-emachine motherboard before, a matter of fact, it was an Asus P4B533-VM. I used these disks to get another computer up and running, and guess what... the case is from an old Bestec fried Emachines. The CDs ghosted the windows copy onto the hard drive, I restarted the computer, and I was able to get into windows. Then I went into the telephone Micro$oft option, used the COA key off of the case (so I wouldn't illegally copy the copy on the actual emachine the restore disk belonged to), activated windows and this system works great!

I am well aware of the Bestec ATX-250-12E-Rev.P7 PSU problem in emachines computers. So far, my moms old T1840 got fried, I have bought one from a computer works store for parts, like the CD, DVD and other things , it had a fried mobo in it, and now, I am looking at one at school that has a "slightly damaged mobo, it powers on, but no video or post or boot. We changed the PSU in it and the Bestec outta it had a capacitor that actually popped loose from the pcb, it was just apart by itself, and it's cap was swelled, so I knew right then this Bestec is another motherboard murder suspect. Every emachine owner I see, I tell them to replace the Bestec PSU before it's too late and they smell something burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back