Task manager window won't appear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my pc to Best Buy to have a graphics card (PYI nvidea 6600) installed and some diagnosis done. They told me I had 4 viri, 1 Trojan, and 400+ spyware (despite having McAfee FW and Virusscan, and using AdAware SE). So they cleaned that stuff out, put my vid card in, but now when I press CTRL-ALT-DEL, absolutely nothing happens. I removed and reinstalled the keyboard, but that did nothing. And when I try to bring the task manager up by right clicking in the toolbar and selecting "task manager", again nothing happens. Any ideas?

My PC:

HP Pavillion A220n
2.08 ghz
1 gig RAM
Windows XP (sp2)

welcome to Techspot!
You paid to get your machine fixed properly, wouldn't you rather make them fix it? Surely there is some type of warranty for their work.
If not there may be some residue left over from them cleaning house.That behaviour can be bug activity.So you will have rerun anti bug software.Try in safe mode.

Hello blunce and welcome to Techspot.

Would you please take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

Your problem may well be a sign of infection by some kind of malware.

You can either take your pc back to the repair shop, and insist they fix it properly, or you can attempt to fix it yourself.

If you choose to do the work yourself, then you will need to read the following posts. Make sure you follow all the instructions exactly.

How to remove trojans, and it`s ilk.

If after following the above post you still have problems, then go and read this one.

How to remove Begin2search / coolwebsearch and other nasties.

If that doesn`t solve you problem, then see How to post your Hijackthis log-file as an ATTACHMENT.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back