Taskbar dissapearing on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnezz

Greetings,

I have this problem where I log on into windows xp x64 and then my pc hangs a little bit and then my desktop is displayed and I can access task manager but for some reason the taskbar is not there or unresponsive or something. Also I can run programs from the task manager just fine (like firefox) and in the process' tab in the task manager explorer.exe appears to be running but the taskbar doesnt work at all (I even left my pc running all last night and my taskbar still is unresponsive :(

help?

OK. First thing always to check: do you have a firewall, virus and malware protection?

Second, you say your taskbar is not there or unresponsive. But then you say you can run programs from it. That is contradictory and I need more info especially if it really is a taskbar problem.

So what do you mean when you say the taskbar doesn't work at all?

hmmmm.

Run a virus / Malware scan to rule out foul play...

Can you see the task bar?

If not make sure it isnt set to hide....

We need more specific information!

Try booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key after the logo loads and continue tapping until Safe Mode comes up: Make sure you haven't set to 'hide the Taskbar':

If Taskbar is up> right click on Taskbar > Properties> Taskbar tab> I advise the following settings:
CHECK 'lock the Taskbar'
UNCHECK 'autohide the Taskbar'
CHECK 'keep Taskbar on top'
UNCHECK 'group similar...'
CHECK 'show Quick Launch'

Apply> OK

I tried doing what bobbye said (and it works sometimes now!!!) but my initial problem still arises where I logon and then no desktop items are displayed and the taskbar dissapears again! sometimes the desktop items and taskbar appear after 5 mins. and sometimes they dont appear at all :(

Let's give this a try. It has worked for others who were missing the desktop contents:
A virus called F-Nimda can cause this:

ShellFix
The ShellFix tool is used to fix Explorer startup problems resulted from unconditional termination of F-Nimda tool during its operation. If F-Nimda tool is terminated by a user or operating system while it is scanning a hard disk, there will be no icons and no taskbar on Windows desktop. To fix the problem you will have to run the SHELLFIX.REG file.
Download: ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.reg
Download: ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.zip
Readme: ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.txt

From http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml#ShellFix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back