Taskmgr and Regedit popup quickly and disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently noticed I am not able to open task manager nor the registry. When I execute from cntl-alt-del or from the start>run entry, the window pops up quickly and disappears. I have updated my virus definitions and run virus scans and checked my virus log which contained w32.netsky@pmm from an incoming email. However, when I downloaded and ran the fxnetsky tool from symantec, it says it did not find the virus. Any ideas?

You absolutely have a virus or a very nasty spyware thing.

What antivirus are you using? Try the online scan at www.trendmicro.com

Install, update and run either LavaSoft Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D.

i have the same problem. i also cant open msconfig. ive updated and run spybot, adaware, norton antivirus 2005, panda active scan, hijackthis, etc etc to no avail. and i ran all these in safe mode so i cant understand why they wouldnt find something if it was there? i really cant figure out what it is. but ive figured that it really doesnt hinder my computer usage, and im planning to re-format sometime after christmas anyways. however it would be nice to fix this and be able to look at TaskManager. :)

Its the w32 worm. I had a problem with that a year ago, and people nearby had similar problems. Nasty spyware like that is very rare, and hard to obtain (Which is a good thing). Best luck is to goto McAfee for a worm removal program.

I'm not sure if it will fix the problem, but you can try to repair your installation of XP. Take a look at the thread at the top of this forum for instructions on how to go about doing that.

I'm experiencing the same problem, taskmgr, msconfig, etc, open and close very quickly. I've run AVG antivirus, Ad-aware, Spybot, problem still there.
Any suggestions, I really don't want to reload to fix this problem.

steimy said:
I'm experiencing the same problem, taskmgr, msconfig, etc, open and close very quickly. I've run AVG antivirus, Ad-aware, Spybot, problem still there.
Any suggestions, I really don't want to reload to fix this problem.

I honestly do not know how I fixed the problems I was having. One day I booted up my computer and all all of a sudden I got a pop-up from Norton Antivirus saying it had found a virus and deleted it. That fixed the problem but it was strange because I had run Norton multiple times before and it hadn't found anything. My only advice is to run HijackThis, if you havent already. Look for anything unusual and delete it. If you arent sure what to get rid of, post the log here and I will take a look at it. Sorry Im not of much help other than that. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back