TCL showcases Nxtwear G smart glasses featuring dual-OLED screens and a stylish design

jsilva

In brief: At MWC 2021, TCL announced the release of its Nxtwear G smart glasses coming in July. The wearable will initially be available in Australia for $899 (about $680 US), but other regions will follow soon. During the event, the company also announced Multi-Screen Collaboration, which allows users to share screens seamlessly between multiple devices.

There are plenty of companies developing smart glasses, including Razer and Amazon, but none have yet created a killer product. Now TCL expects to do just that with the upcoming Nxtwear G smart glasses.

Whether you want to watch a movie, play a game, or work, the TCL Nxtwear G glasses allow you to do so in a small private space right in front of your eyes. Featuring dual-Micro OLED Sony panels with an FHD resolution and supporting 3D 4K content, these glasses simulate a 140-inch widescreen display with a 47 pixels-per-degree resolution.

Nxtwear G smart glasses also pack built-in speakers for added immersion. However, using earbuds or a headset might be a better option.

Using the USB-C DP cable attached to the glasses, TCL's smart glasses can be connected to any phone, tablet, or laptop with the appropriate interface thanks to its plug-and-play functionality. Moreover, there's a capsule case included to transport the glasses in your bag or backpack and protect them from a fall, scratches, or any other physical damage.

Despite all the technology used inside the glasses' compact and portable design, they weigh just over 130g, with the USB-C cable weighing 30g alone.

TCL also showed a screen sharing feature that promises to deliver quick and easy cross-device broadcasting. With Multi-Screen Collaboration, TCL phone owners may also share files, music, videos, apps, photos, and messages with a compatible Windows 10 laptop or PC, tablet, or TV.

For now, the TCL 20 Pro 5G is the only device listed to support Multi-Screen Collaboration, but TCL promised the feature would come to other devices. In addition, the glasses will include support for this feature in an over-the-air software update that's coming at a later date.

Nxtwear G glasses will debut in Australia sometime in July, with a more global release later this year. Based on exchange rates, it looks like US customer could expect a price tag of about $680.

Permalink to story.

Never get a TCL device. Nearly everything they sell requires not just an email but usually credit card info too before you can use the product you paid for.

Never get a TCL device. Nearly everything they sell requires not just an email but usually credit card info too before you can use the product you paid for.
? you have not paid for a product before you gave credit card details, unless you buy in a physical shop and pay cash (would the seller require credit card in such case? no.) How many on line retailers do not require the buyers email?

? you have not paid for a product before you gave credit card details, unless you buy in a physical shop and pay cash (would the seller require credit card in such case? no.) How many on line retailers do not require the buyers email?
I think they mean you need to provide an illegal amount identifying information to be able to use things or services made by TCL. I don't know if this claim is true as I'd never buy anything made by TCL, but I have seen similar practices by other South-east Asian companies before.

“140-inch widescreen display with a 47 pixels-per-degree resolution.”

Can someone translate this into what the screen resolution would actually be? 4K at 140”?

I’m yet to see any glasses or head mounted screen that can match the equivalent quality of having that sized screen via say a projector. I have the Quest 2 and that still has visible pixels.

"Featuring dual-Micro OLED Sony panels with an FHD resolution and supporting 3D 4K content" (my emphasis added)
Mentioning 4k but the display only has a quarter of the resolution, okay.

“140-inch widescreen display with a 47 pixels-per-degree resolution.”

Can someone translate this into what the screen resolution would actually be? 4K at 140”?

I’m yet to see any glasses or head mounted screen that can match the equivalent quality of having that sized screen via say a projector. I have the Quest 2 and that still has visible pixels.
I'm not entirely sure how supposed 140" screen size equivalent is supposed to be factored in since distance from the Field of View is important. If the panels are FHD, then at 47ppd the FoV is only about 41 degrees which doesn't sound very immersive to me but 47ppd in itself seems very very high. I don't know very much about VR/AR/wearable displays so I can't 100% make any person comparisons that I'd understand myself.

Back