Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge is a love letter to 80s arcade brawlers

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: From the intro animation and the pixel art to the fighting style and mechanics, everything about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge looks spot on. It’s from the devs that created Streets of Rage 4, a recent throwback fighter with a solid score on Metacritic, meaning they'll probably have to go out of their way to screw this one up.

French video game developer and publisher Dotemu is working on a nostalgia-fueled co-op brawler based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TNMT) that should immediately feel familiar to 80s kids.

In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge, gamers will assume the role of one of the four heroes – Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael or Michelangelo – as they attempt to slow Bebop and Rocksteady in their support of Krang and Shredder.

The game, which is being developed in partnership with Tribute Games, looks like a mashup between the original TMNT arcade game from 1989 and its sequel, TNMT: Turtles in Time, that dropped a couple of years later and was eventually ported to the Super Nintendo.

Dotemu said the game will take players on a tour of iconic TMNT locations including the sewers and boroughs of New York City and of course, Dimension X. Heck, they even tapped Mike Patton of Faith No More fame to cover the iconic Turtles theme song. Very cool.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge doesn’t yet have a release date but you can add it to your wish list over on Steam. It’s also coming to consoles, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

Pixelated graphics is not something that I have much nostalgia for. And I wasted way too much money on the original arcade game than I would like to admit.

Pixelated graphics is not something that I have much nostalgia for. And I wasted way too much money on the original arcade game than I would like to admit.

I played the crap out of the TMNT arcade game - could get most of the way through it on one quarter.

The only other game I spent way too much time and money on was the 3-player game Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. You use your special button and he starts to dance and all the bad guys around him start dancing....I wasn't really a MJ fan, but I enjoyed the game.

I miss the good old days of the 4 player coin-op.

Turtles in Time on SNES was the culmination of all efforts (Hyperstone Heist wasn't as polished).

I really would like to see GAUNTLET make a return.

Turtle in Time was decent. The original TMNT coin op was alright but was designed to keep you sticking coins in. Skill would only get you so far then you needed about £20 in 10p pieces

Don't worry, cancel culture will certainly come out and complain the game "promotes violence" or it's "racist" and that will be its end.

Loved the intro and music, gameplay not so much.
Come on, you actually have to put some work to make things look pixelated now. I mean they could easily make them look like the cartoon animation.

I played the crap out of the TMNT arcade game - could get most of the way through it on one quarter.

The only other game I spent way too much time and money on was the 3-player game Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. You use your special button and he starts to dance and all the bad guys around him start dancing....I wasn't really a MJ fan, but I enjoyed the game.
Holy cow I thought I was the only person who loved this game. The console one is also SO WEIRD.

I miss the good old days of the 4 player coin-op.

Turtles in Time on SNES was the culmination of all efforts (Hyperstone Heist wasn't as polished).

I really would like to see GAUNTLET make a return.
I totally loved this era and genre, but after spending 10 minutes replaying a game like Turtles in time or Hyperstone Heist, and it gets old pretty quick. I hope this game has a few extra tricks up its sleeve to keep players (or just me) interested.

I agree with those saying it doesn't look good (to put it very politely). The original TMNT2 arcade game from 1989 looks better than this.

Holy cow I thought I was the only person who loved this game. The console one is also SO WEIRD.

Count me into that as well. But I've only ever seen the MJ Moonwalker game once when I was a kid. We were way off the interstate in North or South Carolina somewhere in the middle of nowhere. This oddball convenience store had it sitting in the corner on the lower level of the building. I was about 9-10 years old at the time.

I probably spent $20-30 in quarters in that thing while my Aunt wandered around looking at the store and my Uncle sat outside smoking a pack of cigarettes on a bench. I have no idea where we were and I've never seen that game again. Seeing you talking about the game brought back a ton of good memories.

As for TMNT I've played the ever-loving crap out of those games on Genesis, SNES, and the wonderful arcade version. My cousin and I still load up emulators and play them even now. Seeing Shredder's Revenge put me in a good place! I'd happily spend money on it. I think it looks great. Like a slightly modernized version of the older one. I'm sure it'll have flaws but I'm not going to nitpick it.

Back