Thank you, TechSpot

Gareis

For taking over my life.

After I randomly typed TechSpot.com into the URL bar, wondering what, if anything, would turn up, and I started browsing some articles, I became hooked, and now I find myself checking the home-page ever 20-30 minutes (which, of course I know, is too frequently) in hopes of a new article....

And of course, when the weekend comes, without updates, I find myself seriously bored...

So, thank you.

Sincerely,
Gareis

Haha! I've been doing that for the last 14-ish years... except back then I think it was 3drevolution.com or something like that. I still check the site wayyy too often.

I'm trying to find other things to occupy my time.
I'm going to plant some fruit trees today ;)

Same here. The thing is, this time last year, I wouldn't have been able to picture myself frequenting a tech website. Now I check this site at least twice a day and spend too much time either reading the articles and reviews or going over the threads.

I'm beginning to think this site is to me what Facebook is to a lot of my friends. :D

Wow now that I come to think of it I don't know for how long I've been here, but it's from the early days while it was still named 3DSpotlight atleast.
Time sure does fly!

I've been here a long time too, think I first came by in Dec 1999. It was 3dspotlight on UBB then.

Same here. The thing is, this time last year, I wouldn't have been able to picture myself frequenting a tech website. Now I check this site at least twice a day and spend too much time either reading the articles and reviews or going over the threads.

I'm beginning to think this site is to me what Facebook is to a lot of my friends. :D
I'm not a big FB person either, I check perhaps once a day.. if even, and I grew up around technology, so it's kind of normal for me to be interested in the latest tech news.

I've been here a long time too, think I first came by in Dec 1999. It was 3dspotlight on UBB then.
I would have been three years old then.

I've checked this website everyday since I first found it in July 2010...and shall be doing the same past July 2020 if it's still here.

Such a great site. All the staff are pleasant and engaging also, which is a big reason why I think people like it here.

For taking over my life.

After I randomly typed TechSpot.com into the URL bar, wondering what, if anything, would turn up, and I started browsing some articles, I became hooked, and now I find myself checking the home-page ever 20-30 minutes (which, of course I know, is too frequently) in hopes of a new article....

And of course, when the weekend comes, without updates, I find myself seriously bored...

So, thank you.

Sincerely,
Gareis
Oh, no, thank you all guys :)

While we are in the topic. Considering you've been around for a long time and know the site inside and out, what would you say is the #1 thing you'd have added to the TS experience?

Thanks!

I'd definitely agree with that statement Dawn!

That's certainly how I compare it as well. My girlfriends life seems to be entwined with Facebook, and while I'm not a fan of the social network I do see strong similarities in the way I use TechSpot. For me, this site is very much the Facebook that she appears to be addicted to, and I plan to remain here a long time. :)

Such a great site. All the staff are pleasant and engaging also, which is a big reason why I think people like it here.

I think that makes a massive difference. On my very first visits here I was struck by how relaxed and polite the atmosphere was, and how the staff would bend over to help as much as they could. It's definitely the reason I stayed, and shall remain the reason I do well into the future.

Meh, facebook was interesting in the beginning when me and all of my friends joined, nowadays there's hardly anything worth logging on to see. Good thing about TS is there's always new news, hardware, discussions, members, etc. so it never gets boring!

Oh, no, thank you all guys :)

While we are in the topic. Considering you've been around for a long time and know the site inside and out, what would you say is the #1 thing you'd have added to the TS experience?

Thanks!

Actually to everybody in this discussion.
Very early on, I don't think I added anything, I just absorbed. I learned a lot about computers, I learned a lot about how this board was ran by the mods, and I believe I learned how a board should be handled by the mods.

From about 2001 until about 2007 I think I contributed by helping a lot of people solve problems, or by giving at the very least solid troubleshooting advice. Stuff I had learned in my early years here and had continued to learn through staying here. Also, and this may come across as me having a big head, but, I think I was a pretty good moderator, was probably a pretty good one up until I got a real serious girlfriend in about 2009. I cleaned up a lot of stuff, all of us mods did. Before a lot of the good spam control systems we have now were in place, we'd often have random spam drivebys where hundreds of threads or posts would be created in a very short amount of time. Myself, and other mods really took care of that well. Almost all of us got along really well and felt we knew each other personally, ICQ was a good communication tool. Having mods from various countries across the globe really helped with keeping the site spam free any hour of the day.

Since 2007 or 8 I don't think I've contributed much to the site as far as helping people, at least not on the scale I once did. I simply don't know as much about 'current' stuff anymore. In 2008 I also left my job to pursue further education, so I no longer had an income to keep me motivated to learn about new technologies to the extent I once did.

Since 2009, I spent quite a bit less time here due to a serious relationship. So same as just above, but even less.

Now, I'm no longer in that relationship, but also unemployed and still struggling to pursue that higher education I left a good job for in 2008. I still can't add much to the solving problems part of the site, but I can still be a decent moderator, and am still striving to do that.

I doubt Julio was really looking for my response in this, but rather a more 'typical' user. But I hope this at least gives more of a background to what has happened with me and this site since 1999.

My bad. Actually the question was meant to be, what would you ADD to the TechSpot experience (from where it is today)?

I'd like to mention that sometimes, on my iPhone, the amount of comments on the news articles is wrong. It often displays more comments on the main page than there actually is in the article. I guess it's just a bug, not really much to worry about. I absolutely LOVE reading comments on TS. Reading and understanding perspectives of different people is what I really like here. Not the "FIRST!!!" stuff you read on other news sites. What I'd like to add? Nothing, it is perfect the way it is at the moment. Just my two cents :)

Unfortunately, it occurs randomly. There's really no pattern as to try and replicate this..
Edit: None that I am aware of, anyways.

Back