The Android 11 beta is now available, check out its best features

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Owners of Pixel handsets from the Pixel 2 onwards can now download the Android 11 beta, giving them an early preview of what’s to come in Google’s next OS. With Google I/O one of the many events canceled because of Covid-19, and the online-only June 3 unveiling postponed due to the Black Lives Matter protests, the Android 11 beta launch has been a subdued affair.

Those who maintain multiple conversations across several apps will appreciate the new way Android deals with conversations. In the Android 11 beta, there's a dedicated section in the drop-down notification bar for these messages. Users can mark conversations as a priority to give them preference, and they will show up on the always-on display and can even be set to bypass a ‘Do Not Disturb’ setting.

If you’re a fan of the floating bubbles used by Facebook Messenger, you’ll be pleased to learn that this same feature can be used for conversations in other apps, allowing you to chat with someone without having to jump between applications.

Elsewhere, Gboard users will find more relevant and accurate autofill suggestions for both text and emoji, thanks to the secure on-device intelligence that utilizes Federated Learning.

Android 11 beta also brings improved media controls that make it much quicker and easier to select devices for outputting music, be it headphones, speakers, or a TV. There are also more options for controlling your music in the notifications shade, including resuming playlists straight from the menu without having to reopen an app, and even switching between apps based on the order they were last played.

Those with multiple smart home devices could benefit from the Android 11 beta. Rather than trawling through multiple apps or having to go to the Google Home app, all device controls can be accessed by long-pressing the power button. This hub area not only lets you control the temperature, operate lights, etc., it also shows other things you might need in a hurry, such as payment methods and a boarding pass.

Android 11 beta also introduces new privacy and security options. These include being able to grant apps one-time permissions for them to access your microphone, camera, or location, rather than allowing permanent access. Additionally, apps that haven’t been used for a long time will have their permissions automatically reset, and you’ll get a notification informing you which ones have been affected.

If you do have a Pixel 2 or later (sorry, original Pixel owners), you can download the Android 11 beta here. Google says it will be available to other devices in the coming weeks. And remember that it is a beta, so expect bugs.

Permalink to story.

The one major feature I want is one that will allow you to block all phone calls and messages from spammers, regardless of what app you are using. That would be a MAJOR benefit .....

The one major feature I want is one that will allow you to block all phone calls and messages from spammers, regardless of what app you are using. That would be a MAJOR benefit .....

Your cell provider can already do that - but they don't. Why offer a service that will benefit your customer base if you can gouge them for it.

You can get a basic version of this protection on Verizon with their Call Filter app. I have it on my phone and it blocks maybe 1 out of every 10 spam calls that comes through.

I hear the Call Filter Plus (paid) version of the app is a lot more effective, but I'm too cheap to spend $2.99 a month (or $7.99 a month for 3+ lines).

The issue I've been having lately isn't the phone call spam, but the texting spam. I get phone spam calls maybe 4 or 5 times a week, whereas I get text spam 8-10 times a week.

There's a lot of manufactures that produce inferior products that run Android, that don't make them better, it just means there are more of them,.
Remember, Android is a rip off of iOS, Google just never learned to do it well.
I don't like the Apple Garden either, though everything always runs correctly, with 0 failures, which is more than I can say for Samsung phones, and yes, through the experience with several of their phones.
Apple iPhones have over 40 percent of market share as of March 2020, not bad for 1 single company, compared to all the Android Manufactures.

Last edited:
There's a lot of manufactures that produce inferior products that run Android, that don't make them better, it just means there are more of them,.
Remember, Android is a rip off of iOS, Google just never learned to do it well.
I don't like the Apple Garden either, though everything always runs correctly, with 0 failures, which is more than I can say for Samsung phones, and yes, through the experience with several of their phones.
Apple iPhones have over 40 percent of market share as of March 2020, not bad for 1 single company, compared to all the Android Manufactures.

Errrr....no. iOS market share is estimated at around 27%, which, though really impressive (I thought it would be far less, to be honest), still far from that claimed 40%. And as for user experience, I am in the opposite camp: I pull my hair every time the missus gives me her precious iphone to change files or to do do a mandatory update (these thing I do with my LG android phone effortlessly), so no, I am not impressed by intuitiveness, stability or the user friendly nature of iOS, at all (and based on my limited experience with a McBook Air, things are not any better on a laptop either).
If it works for you, great, and I am happy for you (I mean it), I just guess that in the end we all have our unique experiences

Errrr....no. iOS market share is estimated at around 27%, which, though really impressive (I thought it would be far less, to be honest), still far from that claimed 40%. And as for user experience, I am in the opposite camp: I pull my hair every time the missus gives me her precious iphone to change files or to do do a mandatory update (these thing I do with my LG android phone effortlessly), so no, I am not impressed by intuitiveness, stability or the user friendly nature of iOS, at all (and based on my limited experience with a McBook Air, things are not any better on a laptop either).

If it works for you, great, and I am happy for you (I mean it), I just guess that in the end we all have our unique experiences

Look at the latest figures from HTtech for the 40+%

I don't know what you are all messing about. I have a galaxy s7 with android 8 and I never had any failure, freeze or crash. None. In 3 years, just nothing. And this is a 2016 phone. What apple users don't like about android phones is the diversity of apps, styles and that there is no unified style and polish. I don't care about that. I just care about having the possibility of doing anything when I need it. If I want to do a hotpot wifi, done. If I want some quick BT file transfer, done. If I want to store my files in whatever cloud, done. If I want to test an app still in development I can do that. I can do pretty much anything. Apple users like to be limited. To have 3 three buttons that always work, but that is it.

My first modern smart phone was an OG iPhone, so a long history w/ IOS. I have both now, but would have a harder time giving up Android (despite it's myriad compromises and faults) than IOS. IOS just feels dated and overly rigid to me. I'm always amazed that I can't arrange app icons on the home screen or remove app icons entirely from the home screen without uninstalling the app. Invisible icons and burying app icons in folders on second or third home screens is needlessly hackish.

Back